Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long Story (further down short)

It all started Thursday night. I just got done taking an exam and i picked up my car from the shop that got my radio installed (very nice by the way). So i ventured on my trip to florida over 1000 miles away in my Betsy(240D). Everything was great mechnically at least. and my a/c doesnt work but it was such a nice drive it didnt need to. well about 4am in the morning (i left PA 9pm) i was somewhere in VA. And i had my low beams on and just as i was about maybe 30ft away there was a cement block about the size of a yaris in the middle between two lanes. one end being the height of 5ft and the low end being about the height of my knee cap. anywho. i couldn swerve because i was traveling about 80 and it was right under an underpass therefore no break down lane (forgot what its called im drawing a blank). So i hit my breaks and hit it probably at least a good 65mph. Betsy reacted with a swift kick at the concrete with her bumper making it get out of the middle of both lanes and moving it over the the left lane leaving my lane clear. she took some damage along the way. (pictures) her left side eye lid went out but she still has an eye. and she got a little cut under her eyes. she also got scratched along the side of her. i pulled to the side of the road and inspected her. she didnt seem to badly hurt and i was pretty proud and gave her a hug. I checked alignment and broke her hard to see if she swayed but she seemed to still be in tip top shape and i loved her for it. i continued to drive until 6:30 to stop for gas at a station. when i exited Betsy i heard a spraying noise coming from Betsy's back driver side tire with a hell of a leak. The gas station had a patch kit so i patched her up and put 30psi in her. I gps(just got amazing) a local mechanic. asked them to patch it but they said they couldnt and tried to sell me new tires. I asked them if it was safe to drive her he said it was. once back on the road i didnt notice it till a few hours after. my braking seemed to get a little bumpy. and it felt like becky had gotten the power to get anti lock brakes (all the time). I think shes a little jealous of the modern cars. so now everytime we break it gets bumpy. and i also hear this rattling noice accuring. Anywho i make it to florida im estatic and im glad shes still alive. im about an hour away from my destination and Betsy wanted to take a slower crusie so i slowed it down to about 75 vs 80 and as soon as i did a huge semi truck passed flicking up a rock hitting my windshield and putting to small cracks into it(pictures) all though startled Betsy finished the ride to florida. Even though Betsy begged me not to took her to Petboys to get her looked at. They said they thought it was my rotors. Betsy and I were no dummies but this mechanic so we left. We did find out why she was rattling it was because the muffler was loose and i guess a bolt was ripped off in the accident. So all the said in done the only thing i can think of and i pray to god its the problem is that Betsy's tire is throwing her off balance while break. Because befor the patch she wasnt shaking. Betsy is also looking for a new eye lid anyone know where in Orlando, FL where she can find a junk yard. Good news i met a attractive sales person at the mall who had a 240D we talked about 15mins about are cars. I felt like i was creeping her hour with my obsession and didnt want Betsy to sit to long in the parking lot by her self. (just up the street at 7n11 a girls car was busted into window shattered while she went to go pay for gas. crazyness!!!)

Short
I hit a cement block in the middle of the highway. Now she shakes when braking. Any idea what the problem could be? Also she's currently looking for a Junk Yard in Orlando, FL for a new eye lid that broke when she was in a fight with the cement block.

Computer is messing up ill post pictures later

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
That's AWFUL, all that stuff. At least you weren't hurt by anything, and your car made it all the way there, it is a long trip for sure.

It looks to have been a mint car too, even the original pinstripes on it, too.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it wasnt mint, but it was on its way i had all this fabrication and engin worked on tip top shape. im just pissed about the wobbling while braking. Its dead sexy and i love her. i hate to see her hurt.

·
Registered
300CD T
251 Posts
impressive stuff

I'd agree, I reckon its the tyres.. get them checked and balanced. Have a good look at suspension, steering and wheel arch components just to make sure.

let us know how it goes and best of luck

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
cashman said:
I'd agree, I reckon its the tyres.. get them checked and balanced. Have a good look at suspension, steering and wheel arch components just to make sure.

let us know how it goes and best of luck

Thanks for the support i think i might wait a week seeing im still set back from fabrication/mechanical work i havnt even paid for yet. even with her being a little broken she's still sexy. once i get back to PA ill get her checked out by a real mechnic. ill get the tires balanced and all that though down here. I dont think is the steering or suspension, well maybe my stabalizer went. possiablity. but it didnt shake after the accident it started after i patched my tire im press sure. i would think it would shake instantly after the accident if it was something to do with that. I just didnt realize one tire unbalanced would affect my braking like that. damn cement blocks in the middle of the road.

·
Registered
European 1974 350SLC ,'78 300CD& '80 300CD sold , '81 240D SWMBO's Car '84 300CD & Euro
688 Posts
Well THAT Sucked

Sorry to hear of the mishaps but glad you were driving in Betsy so you weren't killed ~ imagine hitting a cement block @ 80 MPH in a Toyletta.... :eek:

Pick up the local 'phone book and look up self service auto wrecking ~ they're always got a few old Mercedes W-123's and the parking light and headlight surrounds are there....

New isn't overly expen$vie either .

·
Registered
'82 300D
1,279 Posts
Poor Betsy! At least she held up. Can't say that for new plastic and aluminum cars...

The "bumping" in the brakes, it is rhythmic? Depending on how hard you hit the brakes, if the rotors are thin, and got heated good from the emergency stop, they can warp. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
1984 300CD
2,687 Posts
Shoulder

240Dbio said:
Long Story (further down short)

...i was traveling about 80 and it was right under an underpass therefore no break down lane (forgot what its called im drawing a blank).
It's called the shoulder.

Attachments

·
Registered
European 1974 350SLC ,'78 300CD& '80 300CD sold , '81 240D SWMBO's Car '84 300CD & Euro
688 Posts
What's This then ?

Looks like we have a traffic engineer in our midst ! :thumbsup:

BTW : not to pi$$ on yiour parade but , you wwere obviously over driving your headlights when this happened ~ this is _exactly_ why I don't go over 70 after sunset ~ as a professional driver , I see too much carnage and bent vehicles all ready....

I'm very glad you're O.K. ! here in Sunny So. Cal. in East Los Angeles , we have some folks who think tossing bricks off freeway over passes in the dark , is fun ~ tell that to the 7 year old boy who will now NEVER have a normal face again after being hit by a cinderblock through the windshield of his mom's car. :eek:

-Nate

MBZ300CD said:
It's called the shoulder.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts