Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was 16 in 1999, I got my first car: a mint 1994 C280. 14k miles on it. Absolutely fell in love with it immediately. Shortly afterward, I opened up a Car and Driver and saw a review of the C43 AMG. I gasped at the sight of the ultimate w202. I vowed one day I would own one.

Here we are. 1999 C43. Silver, black leather. Looks like dealer installed 18" staggered monoblocks (which I will be removing for 17s). Aftermarket HID's (which I will be removing). Cheapo aftermarket grille (which I will be removing). Some kind of aftermarket rear spoiler. Looks like all these mods have been on it since it was new. The paint is largely gone from the spoiler.

Has one ding on the whole car (right by rear C43 badge).

Kicker: 238,000 miles on it. I snagged it dirt cheap. Engine and transmission appear to be 100%. Nothing on the car behaves like it has so many miles.

Eventually I'll do a 5.4l swap. Eventually. For now, I'm LOVING it. After 12 years in my C280, I was completely unprepared for just how much power this thing would have.

Special thanks to the wife for making it happen as a surprise for my birthday.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Congrats on the new acquisition. Myself having a C36 and a C280 I can tell you they may look similar and share the same sheet metal, but that is where it stop.....the cars are completely different. As much as you loved your C280 it will become clear it would never reach the performance evels of the C43.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not going to lie. The sentimental in me wanted a pristine C36 instead of the C43. The performance figures are almost identical, but I've got HUGE levels of experience with the m104 and pre-update w202. But this thing was a deal I just couldn't resist.

Every time I drive it I get a grin like I'm 16 years old again. It's just so fun and so thrilling. I've never really driven (let alone owned) a "sports" car like this. It just exudes confidence and authority. I actually own a car that turns the head of more than just the one-in-a-million Benz nerd. E36 M3 driver on the interstate pulled along side me and actually gave me a respectful nod. It's like I joined some kind of elitist club or something? Lucky/smart of him that he didn't want to race :)

Anyway, aside from the eventual 5.4 swap, I want to return/maintain this car as close to stock as possible.

I'd remove the spoiler but the damn thing is permanently mounted via screws through the trunk lid. And the HID's just look AWFUL through the stock halogen lenses. Not to mention the ghetto way they are rigged and glued to the back side of the headlight housings. I don't know why people try xenon without getting the full-blown factory kit? It looks so fake!

In other news, anyone want to buy a C43 trailer hitch?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts