Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
1999 Mercedes E 320
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone,

In a few weeks I'll be acquiring my late grandfather's 1999 Mercedes E320. He passed away ten years ago, and the vehicle has been stored since that time in a climate controlled environment, on a battery tender charger during that time, started and ran occasionally too. It runs and drives today.
I've always driven older vehicles (Fords) so I'm not afraid to do light to medium maintenance items myself.
The E320 has about 60K miles, not certain of the maintenance history yet but aside from changing the oil, I plan on replacing the fuel and air filter, and getting new plugs, wires, and coil packs. I understand the V6 has 12 plugs total, with 2 per cylinder.

My questions are:

What is the engine oil capacity? The owner's manual I downloaded doesn't specify, online research says 8-8.5 quarts.
What oil weight or weights does the manufacturer recommend? (I couldn't find this info in the manual as well)
What is the torque spec on the spark plugs?
Is there anything else I should look at, or service?

The owner's manual says to run premium unleaded gas, so premium it will be. I'll probably replace the tires regardless of tread life if they are ten years old.

I've always appreciated German engineering (I enjoy Heckler & Koch) and am happy to have my first German vehicle, especially one that is special because it belonged to my grandfather. The vehicle will live in a garage at my home when not driven, and will not be driven in the winter. That's what my Fords are for.

I'm really excited to get this car, and hand wash and wax it in my driveway (it will NEVER see a drive through or spray booth car wash)

Thank you all,

Alex

W163 and General M Gremlin
Welcome Sweersa, :)

Take some time to go thru the stickies, documents, diy info in the section at the top of this w210 forum.
All the information you are looking for is up there.

Registered
Current 2008 320ML CDI. Previous 1998 E320, 2007 E320 Bluetec
Congratulations on your acquisition.

At the top of this forum are a plethora of stickies on how to manage most repairs on the W210.

I also came into possession of a 鈥98 E320 that had sat, garaged, for seven years. The battery was dead though it started and idled when I installed a new battery!

A few things to keep in mind: cars age by use and by age.
Your vehicle will likely need a serpentine belt and tensioner, transmission service including the electrical connector, brake fluid flush and A/C service based on the storage time.
You are wise to replace the tires and don鈥檛 forget the spare.
I鈥檇 hold off replacing the coils and wires for the moment, spark plugs for sure.
Your work should be enough to allow you to drive the vehicle and determine what, if anything, you wish to replace.
Bear in mind that the coolant is old too.

The rear windows mechanisms will likely break when you use them. Pretty easy fix.

Hopefully you have more than one key. If not, visit your local MB dealer for a replacement.

Skippy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

W210 Moderator
99 E320
the STICKY should have oil specs under "fluids".

welcome to the 210 forum and especially on your acquisition (sorry about your grandfather, though)

Let me be the first to let you know that MB has already thought about people like you (HK afficiando) so this information is for you ;-) should you wish to accept this assignment.

If you are a member with the Easton library, you may be able to get Chilton information online for basic info

A few mods is nice. I got carried away and probably spent $5k of mods on my 99 E320 rwd. no more....well, one more - single DIN DVD and back up camera

Attachments

Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
I agree with SkippyJasper. No need to change the sparkplugs, wires or coil packs. Add idler pulley to his list. Change out CPS sensor if you're really bored or wait till about 80K miles. Wouldn't hurt to add Techron Concentrate Plus to the gas tank.

I would change ALL fluid and filters. Don't forget the carbon cabin filter and the differential oil. Don't worry about the oil capacity. Just set the level with the dipstick. I have my oil level set midway and I use Mobil 1 0W40 (cheap from Walmart) with a fleece filter.

When you change the coolant, consider changing out the thermostat, and some of the hoses (radiator and pressure tank).

Check your valve covers for leakage. If you have to reseal them, replace all of the EGR hoses............

Reactions: wlb50

W210 Moderator
99 E320
by the way...don't pay retail for the techron fuel stabilizer. Walmart and Costco sells at discount $3-4 each so check there if you decide on this. Costco has for about $19/6 pack so good to have extra in the garage

check the STICKY for write up on the harmonic balancer 'recall'. part number stamped on the balancer and you need mirrors and be like Gumby to read it.

Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
by the way...don't pay retail for the techron fuel stabilizer. Walmart and Costco sells at discount $3-4 each so check there if you decide on this. Costco has for about $19/6 pack so good to have extra in the garage
I buy mine from Walmart. The one Costco sells is a different formulation (Pro-Gard?).

W210 Moderator
99 E320
ahh, they changed stock then. i have 11 bottles of Techron in the garage (coupon sale at Costco $28/12 bottles)

Registered
1999 Mercedes E 320
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all so much for the insight and advice! I've now read through a few stickies and the information is absolute gold, learned so much already. I've also been watching a number of YouTube videos.
I should be getting the Mercedes in exactly a week from this post. My uncle said one of the rear windows doesn't work, which thanks to the info here shouldn't be a major issue to fix. Also mentioned something about the AC fan not spinning right, all items I'm sure there's info here for.
Also, thanks for the weapons compartment info! That was a nice, unexpected gem. Leave it to the best arms manufacturers in the world to have that as an option in their cars. :)
I'll search for a place here to post photos after I have the E320 all washed and waxed up. One of the first items to address will be new tires and an oil change, wiper blades, etc. will start with the simple things.

W163 and General M Gremlin
Thank you all so much for the insight and advice! I've now read through a few stickies and the information is absolute gold, learned so much already. I've also been watching a number of YouTube videos.
I should be getting the Mercedes in exactly a week from this post. My uncle said one of the rear windows doesn't work, which thanks to the info here shouldn't be a major issue to fix. Also mentioned something about the AC fan not spinning right, all items I'm sure there's info here for.
Also, thanks for the weapons compartment info! That was a nice, unexpected gem. Leave it to the best arms manufacturers in the world to have that as an option in their cars. :)
I'll search for a place here to post photos after I have the E320 all washed and waxed up. One of the first items to address will be new tires and an oil change, wiper blades, etc. will start with the simple things.
Keep us posted with photos and Qs you have for any DIY fixes.
Members are here to assist.

Reactions: Sweersa

Registered
1999 Mercedes E 320
Discussion Starter #11
Got the Mercedes two days ago, finally had an evening to give it a good wash and wax. Seems in great working order, a little over 64,000 miles. Has a CEL and a lamp fault light, and rear driver's side window is dead, no noise. Nothing I'm sure I can't fix. Headliner coming down in the back, but no big deal, will probably pay to have an interior place fix that since I don't want to mess it up. Tires seem to be in excellent condition, deep tread and no weathering splits so I'm running them. I plan on giving it a good interior detail tomorrow.
It drives smoother than any new American car I've ever driven or ridden in. Incredible for a 20+ year old car with 64,000+ miles.

The stickies here are great, plan on using those for the oil change and coolant drain and fill for starters.

Registered
E250 Bluetec Sprinter250 Bluetec
Congratulations on new drive and keeping grandfather's toy in the family.
Don't drive on tires who sit for 10 years. Read the DOT number, who will indicate manufacture data. When 10 yo tires on garaged cars might be ok, they might be 12 or 15yo and aged rubber can deteriorate without warning.

Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
Nice, Xenon headlights are heads and shoulders above regular halogen lights, which stand above the aftermarket projector headlights.

Reactions: Sweersa

Registered
1998 E320 wagon
I haven鈥檛 seen halogens that clear in ages!

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles

Registered
1999 Mercedes E 320
Discussion Starter #15
I haven鈥檛 seen halogens that clear in ages!

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles
I said that too when I first saw it, the photos of similar models online almost all, if not all had hazy headlights. My uncle replied it had been kept in a garage nearly all its life! I keep it garaged too, when not in the parking lot of my work, or wherever I'm at of course.

Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
Looks great ...
I would say a transmission service should be a high priority ,,new fluid , clean pan ,new gasket , new connector bushing..
plus the usual engine oil , brake fluid and coolant..

Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
Looks sharp - and looks like Smoke Silver? Didn't think they had that in 1999? Why would the headliner be falling?

Registered
Looks sharp - and looks like Smoke Silver? Didn't think they had that in 1999? Why would the headliner be falling?
My 1999 is smoke silver also! The bad thing about smoke silver is that under certain light conditions, the front fenders looks like it's one shade lighter than the rest of the car. As if the fenders were repainted due to an accident. You can see it in picture #2.

The headliner fails from old age because the foam backing deteriorates/crumbles and the liner becomes detached from the hardboard.

Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
My 1999 is smoke silver also! The bad thing about smoke silver is that under certain light conditions, the front fenders looks like it's one shade lighter than the rest of the car. As if the fenders were repainted due to an accident. You can see it in picture #2.

The headliner fails from old age because the foam backing deteriorates/crumbles and the liner becomes detached from the hardboard.
I must be lucky - my 2 E Classes W124, and this W210, never had the headliner problem. Now on the removable hardtop of my R129 just had the headliner replaced for that reason. If the W210 is the same they would have to replace the whole headliner because that deteriorating foam leaves nothing to glue.

But then I am not a pro installer and hope I am wrong for the OP's sake.

Now I'll tell you something interesting a shop owner told me about DB 742 Smoke Silver.

My 300E - 1986 - was Smoke Silver and that was the first year (1999 must have been the last as its seeming replacement, "Desert Silver" came.

Anyway my 1996 SL is smoke silver and I swear, it seems to have a more grayish and metalic tinge than the 300E had. It's different too with the sun in different positions.

I told this to a shop owner and he said that it wasn't my imagination - there are actually 3 different "shades" of Smoke Silver from over the decade - from the paint formula having to change due to environmental concerns? I think it went to a water-base paint - year unknown.

Believe it or not, just relaying my experience and what I was told...

Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
I said that too when I first saw it, the photos of similar models online almost all, if not all had hazy headlights. My uncle replied it had been kept in a garage nearly all its life! I keep it garaged too, when not in the parking lot of my work, or wherever I'm at of course.
Mine doesn't have hazy headlights either as it was used sparingly (until I took possession ;-) ) and it has been garaged all its life. But the more it is out in the severe summer sun I suspect it is only a matter of time here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts