Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my son, a straight "A", honor student, a 6th grader came up to me this morning before going to school and revealed to me that he has been a victim of hate at school and in the school bus. There is a bully that says hateful things to him because of his religion. This has been happening everyday.

"Shut-up you freakin' MUSLIM MIDGET !"

"You freakin' TERRORIST !"

"I'm going to kick your MUSLIM ASS !"

"Osama Bin Ladin is your grandfather !"

And much more.

Apparently this has been going on since October.

Who the hell would teach their children this kind of hate at such a young age?

What is comforting is that a couple of kids have come to my son's aid by telling that kid to not say ugly things like that.

Idiotic of me, that I never prepared him for this but then, I didn't think this would happen at such a young age.

In public, in the past, I have been called a lot worse in front of my son and wife but I have always just told my son that the person is just uneducated and doesn't know what he is saying and that we should just forgive because this is what our religion teaches.

What kills me is to know that my son has been forgiving this kid for so many weeks and has been keeping it inside and never told anyone. Just kept on forgiving just as dad had taught him to do. God knows what my son has been feeling inside all this time. I'm glad he finally told me.

I went straight to the principal and told her and she said that she would take care of it and knowing that kid, she is not surprised but she did assure me that it would be taken care of.

How do I sit down with him and talk to him? How do I do this without making him feel like he is less American than others? How do I teach him without making him feel as though he is inferior? He does know that what the terrorists did was against Islam and illegal and very bad and was an act against God. How do I do this without making divisions in his mind? He has been brought up to be a proud American first and then a Muslim.

·
66,891 Posts
Simply tell him that the ones that initiate and feed this sort of shit are typically a bunch of weaklings that try to pump themselves up by demeaning others. The bottom line, is that there is something wrong with them and not the other way around as long you don't react and feed their needs.
In the end that kind of people will always live their lives blaming others for all the wrongs they get themselves into. That's how real losers are made!
Stay above it!

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
My daughter's a sixth grader, too.
Hopefully the principal will address it with the other kid and it will end at that. I would certainly tell him not to wait so long to tell me next time. And if it continues I might consider taking it up with the kids parents (although you were probably correct in your assumption that he was raised this way).
Best of luck and tell your boy to hang in there.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Today my son, a straight "A", honor student, a 6th grader came up to me this morning before going to school and revealed to me that he has been a victim of hate at school and in the school bus. There is a bully that says hateful things to him because of his religion. This has been happening everyday.

And much more.

What is comforting is that a couple of kids have come to my son's aid by telling that kid to not say ugly things like that.

Idiotic of me, that I never prepared him for this but then, I didn't think this would happen at such a young age.

In public, in the past, I have been called a lot worse in front of my son and wife but I have always just told my son that the person is just uneducated and doesn't know what he is saying and that we should just forgive because this is what our religion teaches.

What kills me is to know that my son has been forgiving this kid for so many weeks and has been keeping it inside and never told anyone. Just kept on forgiving just as dad had taught him to do. God knows what my son has been feeling inside all this time. I'm glad he finally told me.

I went straight to the principal and told her and she said that she would take care of it and knowing that kid, she is not surprised but she did assure me that it would be taken care of.

How do I sit down with him and talk to him? How do I do this without making him feel like he is less American than others? How do I teach him without making him feel as though he is inferior? He does know that what the terrorists did was against Islam and illegal and very bad and was an act against God. How do I do this without making divisions in his mind? He has been brought up to be a proud American first and then a Muslim.
Since I don't believe there is a God, I think I would tell your son, people are filled with hate. Hate upon hate. Its not him they are picking on, its their own shortcomings they cant handle, so they lash out.

I'm sure you have a fine boy, that you are raising right. Just tell him his dad loves him no matter what.

If he has you to lean on, no one can take that away, I wish I still had my dad.

I'm a big guy, when I was in school, there was this one little tiny guy that went to school, people picked on him without mercy, until one day I stepped in.

His "bully" had taken his hat, (Jew) and the kid started to cry, I told him to give it back, he said fuck you, I stood up went over to the bully without saying anything, and punched him right in the mouth. A few times, from that point forward no one picked on him, not from fear from me, but from the knowledge of knowing that it would not be stood for.

I don't believe in religion, mostly due to the fact I don't think there has ever been a God. But kids are diff. They need something to believe in, by the sounds of it, your son believes in you.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Strap a few stick of dynamics under his shirt tomorrow and tell him to tell those kids to STFU or he will blow everyone to smithereens. I bet it works wonder.

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All of what you guys have said is right. However I blame myself in not preparing myself for this as I should have known that this would happen one day to him because of his religion. For the first time I feel like a failure and feel like I failed my child.

I told him to never wait this long. I told him that he should forgive but always tell mom and dad immediately because there are some things that adults need to know even though he is to forgive.

Yes all of what you guys have said is true and thanks for responding. I'm going to wait a few days so I can get everyone's advice, combine all the great points before speaking to him.

Man, you can beat me up, torture me, even kill me and I'll be OK with it. My son is my weakness. Everything inside of me is hurting just thinking about how he may have felt, all the while, forgiving this kid, just like dad told him.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Man, you can beat me up, torture me, even kill me and I'll be OK with it. My son is my weakness. Everything inside of me is hurting just thinking about how he may have felt, all the while, forgiving this kid, just like dad told him.
Grow a pair, will ya? What doesn't kill him makes him stronger. This is called life lesson. Deal with it!!

·
Administratoris Emeritus
46,416 Posts

And much more.

Explain to your child that this has nothing to do with him, that the child hurling this vitriol is filled with hatred, and that hatred needs an outlet. If not your child, it would be someone else. Tell him to rise above it and adhere to his own code of conscience. Tell him that he should forgive this hate-filled child, and that hate is akin to disease, which, left unchecked, will consume and condemn him to a barren and unfulfilled life, devoid of joy.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Strap a few stick of dynamics under his shirt tomorrow and tell him to tell those kids to STFU or he will blow everyone to smithereens. I bet it works wonder.
Whats wrong with you?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
CR, I'm sorry to hear this. Don't beat yourself up, my youngest daughter was bullied for a year before we found out...and got it stopped. She is now a well rounded mature self confident nurse (working in world famous Great Ormond Street children's hospital), and we couldn't be prouder.

He will get over it.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
All of what you guys have said is right. However I blame myself in not preparing myself for this as I should have known that this would happen one day to him because of his religion. For the first time I feel like a failure and feel like I failed my child.

I told him to never wait this long. I told him that he should forgive but always tell mom and dad immediately because there are some things that adults need to know even though he is to forgive.

Yes all of what you guys have said is true and thanks for responding. I'm going to wait a few days so I can get everyone's advice, combine all the great points before speaking to him.

Hon' you can never be prepared for someone hating your child.

DO NOT WAIT!!! You need to talk to the bus driver and the kids on the bus..
Then you need to go to the head of the transportation dept and make sure that child is removed from the bus. They should have the parents and children come in for an intervention.

I went through a 6Th grader bulling and beating on my second grader. Went through all avenues to get this to stop. The principal did nothing so I went to the school board and made tons of complaints.. It finally ended when I climbed my pregnant butt on the bus and told the kid to come out and whup on someone his size. My son never would tell me it was my daughter that told. Lance thought it was his fault..

I ended up moving my kids to another school and driving them everyday.

Good luck and let your son know that only people who are weak and have low self esteem are bullies.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Except for the stupid responses from elau, most everything said is correct. Please do not approach the bully student or the bus driver directly. Put enough pressure on the principal to ensure that she contacts everyone to include your son's teachers and the bus driver and other adults concerned with these incidents.
I would think your son has enough other positive influences in his life that he will get past this nonsense.

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the kid got a timeout.

My son's teachers were informed and the teachers told him to let them know immediately if that bully bothers him again. Principal told my son that the bully will be assigned a front seat in the bus. The principal is a very nice and very reasonable lady who takes care of business. She is nice as hell but is also strict as hell. Not to mention, she's attractive too.:D

·
Surely A Large Human
35,725 Posts

I can't help hearing that you're ashamed of your faith. If you weren't, why would you feel that you should have been preparing him to be insulted and made fun of?

The bully in question would have lashed out at anyone - he picked the low hanging fruit. He probably hears a lot of that shit at home or on TV, and has nothing to balance it. He's obviously an idiot, and may subconsciously be aware that as he gets older, it gets harder and harder to keep up. One day that asshole is going to be serving burgers to your kid - that moment where he made fun of your boy is probably as good as his life is going to get. Pretty pathetic. Certainly nothing to lose sleep over. My son does well in school, has friends, yada yada yada. White, middle-class, bright. He's very fair skinned and light haired, and that's what he gets teased about. Those people will always find something - the mean spirited ones anyway. Doesn't matter who you are, what you think, how you look, they'll find something. It's easier to blow it off when you know that they aren't, in the grand scheme of things, getting away with it.

I don't feel guilty for not setting my son down and saying "now look, you're probably going to get teased for the way you look" - that would only make him incredibly self-conscious about his appearance and be a gigantic mind-fuck. And it wouldn't have mattered, because even if I did, they probably would have found something else to make fun of him over. I just genuinely let him know when he had this issue with a classmate a few years ago (about the same age), that some people really are idiots, now you know how to spot them; the best way to get them to shut up is to not react - they're pushing a button, don't let the button do anything or else they'll just keep pushing it; and make sure you remember his name so that you know not to buy a used car or a copier from his dumb ass later in life - there's no doubt that once high-school is over, if not sooner, he will be in a world of shit that you wouldn't trade places for in a million years.

Forgiveness doesn't mean what the other person did was OK, it means you're not going to let it consume you or affect your attitude. You can take a lesson from your boy...I think he's got it mostly figured out.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
46,416 Posts
Did you miss that last three words? :)

1 - 20 of 126 Posts