Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I posted a while back that I was giving up on getting a W140 due to job loss. Well, I got a reprieve and my contracted was extended to the end of May. This will most likely be the last extension but at least I have a few months to look for work instead of being booted out the door suddenly, which what it looked like at Christmas time last year.

So, I've taken the plunge and bought a 1992 300SEL. I won't be collecting it until tomorrow but I've attached a pic off the eBay listing.

MB didn't bring the LWB versions of the 300 into Australia, this is a private import and was complianced in 2000.

It needs a bit of TLC but the big ticket items should be OK. It's done about 170K km. The transmission was rebuilt less than 10K ago, and I'm almost certain the engine loom has been replaced. The owner isn't very knowledgeable about the marque but it was doing weird stuff like stopping suddenly, turning all the lights on the console etc. All symptoms that from reading here point to the loom shorting out at random. An auto electrician sorted it out and it cost him $2200 so I sure hope the loom was changed for that sort of money!

It was intended for his wife to drive but once he got it into roadworthy condition and she could take it for a spin she hated it! She wants a Hyundai instead. Her loss is my gain. :)

I'll be going back to stock rims and springs as quietness and comfort on our crappy interstate highway is my priority. The interior is a bit stuffed, but works. I was looking for an interior restoration project anyway, so really, this is perfect. At $3000 it's about $5000 cheaper than its nearest rival. (We really get ripped off for cars here in Aus).

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,533 Posts
Hey Tlampre ,Welcome back .
Its Boiling hot here in Sydney today ( AUS Day ) ,anyway ,when you get the Car look under the Engine cover on the Drivers side ,on the far Edge there should be a big bunch of cables tucked in ,you see it best there if the Wires have been changed ,but i would guess it must have been done already .
Where abouts are you in Aus .
The Car you have there :eek: looks Hot :eek:,nice Purchase , Congrats .
Ciao :thumbsup:
Ahh and BTW ;If they dont give you more Work you can always work for me in the Construction ,W140's are my Company Car ,only Kidding but not by much,LoL.

·
Registered
w140 s500 1994,w123 230c, w123 280ce etc
279 Posts
good luck with the purchase from the pic it looks a generally safe buy.
pity about losing the rims as i do like them i have the same on mine.
i have lots of parts being a breaker over here in the uk but not practical i guess due to the distance.
enjoy and good luck in the job search

·
Registered
Jaguar STR-sold,mercedes s500L-sold,c36 amg-sold,s500 coupe-sold,cl420-sold,s320-sold,s280-sold
541 Posts
Nice ride.Keep the wheels,they are spot on

·
Registered
Jaguar STR-sold,mercedes s500L-sold,c36 amg-sold,s500 coupe-sold,cl420-sold,s320-sold,s280-sold
541 Posts
Yes chrome bits got to go :)

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Yes, the chrome is tacky. I like the look of the wheels, but this won't be a freeway cruiser. My ES300 has new suspension all round and still gets thrown all over the place on the worst parts of the highway. I fear the lowered suspension on the W140 will bottom out.

I live in Melbourne, Victoria. Our roads have just been badly damaged by a big flood. I drove over to Adelaide, normally 8 hours, to visit my family on the weekend of the floods and it took me 20 hours instead. I ended up flying back and leaving the Lexus behind. I'll be collecting it this weekend. They will be patching the road up but it will be worse than ever for a few months.

The W140 has been purchased for this job, to make the trip as quiet and comfortable as possible. I've done it over 100 times in the past 6 years. So it's back to stock wheels and springs. Someone in Melbourne will get a chance to upgrade when I list the AMG's on eBay.

My first plan is to get it registered. We have a system of checks for a Road Worthiness Certificate (RWC) here. The car had an RWC 6 months ago so it shouldn't need much doing. The owner had the right idea, it was for his then pregnant wife to carry bubs around, nice and safe. So he didn't cut corners on the important stuff. His heart was in the right place but maybe he should have discussed with her before spending all that money. Still, lucky me.

Once I have it registered and back on stock suspension I will do a bit of driving to get a feel for things and what needs immediate attention. I'll take it to Adelaide and back and check the fuel economy. I might put it on LPG. Last car I did that to paid for itself in 6 months.

It's a bit of an odd spec, no sunroof or cruise control. Glad not to have the sunroof, never used the one on my Lexus, they just seems to be something to rattle, jam and leak as far as I'm concerned. I've fitted aftermarket cruise to other cars so it won't be a problem, the kits are only about $250.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
Your car sounds the same spec as mine - looks like the rear tails have been updated also. Is it from Singapore or Japan?

·
Banned
2008 C200K (W204) & 1998 SL500 (R129) Imperial Red
3,373 Posts
Welcome comrade!!

From one newbie to another, you made made the right choice of vehicle!

Im loving my S320 more and more everyday. I used to want a W220, but since owning this magnificent machine, I doubt I will even look that direction anytime soon..

When you own a W140, it becomes part of the family and should never be sold! Cherished in a covered garage. Drivern only on sundays if you must, but either way its something worth beeing proud of!

I drive mine everyday and feel like a king when Im in it! Big up to Mercedes Benz for making such a prestigious vehicle! Too bad they failed with the degradable wireing harness, weak transmission & unreliable PSE pumps, besides that they are masterpieces!

Get up it back to its former (maybe even better) glory and you will reap the rewards everyday!

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
Welcome comrade!!

From one newbie to another, you made made the right choice of vehicle!

Im loving my S320 more and more everyday. I used to want a W220, but since owning this magnificent machine, I doubt I will even look that direction anytime soon..

When you own a W140, it becomes part of the family and should never be sold! Cherished in a covered garage. Drivern only on sundays if you must, but either way its something worth beeing proud of!

I drive mine everyday and feel like a king when Im in it! Big up to Mercedes Benz for making such a prestigious vehicle! Too bad they failed with the degradable wireing harness, weak transmission & unreliable PSE pumps, besides that they are masterpieces!

Get up it back to its former (maybe even better) glory and you will reap the rewards everyday!
amen to that. a w140 should never be sold. gifting it to family members. like i did with 400sel

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I suspect it is from Asia as it doesn't have a dual range speedo, i.e. mph/kmh. I would expect a UK car to have that.

The VIN is WDB1400332A056249, I've tried some online databases but did not get any hits.

Long term plan is that when my daughter gets her licence she will inherit the '98 ES300 I gave to my son when I got the '02 ES300. He will inherit the '02 ES300 and I'll keep the 300SEL as my daily driver. This will happen in about 12 months time, so I have that long to get the Merc sorted.

·
Registered
1994 S320, S 600 1994 , SL 600 1999
441 Posts
Welcome to the benz brother hood :)
there is only 1 word to describe the w140,Desirable!!
I am truly in love with my w140,i can spend the whole day admiring it,
looking forward for more pics & ownership reviews!

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, collected it last night and finally got to drive it with a permit. Heh, the list of faults is as long as my arm. I reckon it's going to need a ground up re-wire. This is not unexpected.

Good points: transmission is as smooth as the best I've ever felt. Totally undetectable changes and the power goes straight to the ground, no sense of any slipping or power loss. I wish my ES300 was as nice, with 375K on the clock it needs a rebuild soon. Any reservations about the 3.2 litre engine not having enough power were laid to rest. It's a very torquy motor. Goodness knows what a V12 feels like. Brakes were excellent, no play in the steering, overall it felt really solid.

Until I tried pressing a button. I was able to open my window without incident but when I tried to wind it up the lights on the dash did a merry dance and the car faltered. Almost stalled. The battery is stuffed and I needed a jump start when I collected it. Not wanting to get stranded I kept my hands off all switches until I was home and had it safely parked. I got the window back up but when I started to fiddle with other buttons it stalled. Many things just don't work, such as the seat and steering wheel adjustment. Side mirrors were touch and go, needed multiple attempts to fold and unfold and the passenger side has taken a knock and wobbles. Eventually it shuddered and stalled so play time was over.

It tramlined quite a bit due to the wide rims and low profile tyres. The lowered suspension probably didn't get the camber adjusted either, adding to the problem. All the mods reek of amateur. Definitely have to go back to stock.

I popped the bonnet (hood) to have a look in the engine bay before the light failed. But when I pulled the plastic arm to fully open it came off in my hand. I couldn't see well enough to get my fingers in and open it so I gave up until later. I wanted to check the loom, pretty sure it hasn't been changed judging by the cars behaviour. Reckon the PO didn't get much for his $2200.

No A/C, which I expected. I must say I smile a bit when I've read people here complaining about replacing the evaporator on these things. I've overhauled the A/C on three cars now, and installed from scratch on a fourth, and I'm yet to see a car where they didn't start with the HVAC unit and build the rest of the car around it. It's always a bitch of a job. I just replaced the evaporator on my ES300, that was 'easy' as I only had to pull half the dash instead of the whole thing. I thought that was a bonus.

First thing will be to get a new battery once I get my ES300 back home. I've bought batteries before and lugged them home on the train and walking, not doing that again, too heavy.

I'll take a few pics next week, I have to get to work now and will be going straight to the airport from there and won't be back till very late Sunday. My new toy will have to wait.

So, she's ugly, temperamental and for now just sits and sulks. I'm in love.

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04 carrera911, 99 S320,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140
1,663 Posts
sweet! Good luck on your new ride.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Extra pics

Thanks for the country of origin and data card. Interesting to know what it was originally ordered with.

Some more pictures of the outside:

My ES300 can be seen in the background of the last one.

The wheels have AMG embossed on them:

Does this mean they are real, or just good counterfeits?

Here is a shot of the drivers door shut line:

The self closing heaves but can't really close the door. It may require a professional to knock out the dents and get it to hang properly. Panel beating isn't one of my skills.

Leather is mostly OK apart from some cracks on the centre armrest and this rip in the drivers seat.

Some dreadful child probably did this to the rear door sill.

The engine looks like, well, an engine!

The paint has worn off as one would expect but it is clean and honest enough looking with no disturbing noises.

I looked for the loom on the drivers side (RHD) and found this bunch of wires:

Looks like normal plastic insulation as far as I can tell. Flexible and no cracks anywhere. All the other wiring I could find was the same. So, it looks like the engine loom has indeed been replaced? Or am I looking in the wrong spot?

Put a new battery in and played will all the buttons inside with the engine running. It didn't stall or do anything odd this time. Perhaps before with the dead battery and running at idle it didn't give quite enough revs to the (brand new) alternator to fully supply the current to provide the spark while trying charge a totally cactus battery - or maybe there is a short somewhere that I didn't trigger this time. Lots to check later on.

It goes in for the road worthiness test on Thursday and to put stock springs back on. I might have stock wheels by then too, if I win the ones I'm chasing on eBay.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts