Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm Back With A Wheel Question:
Being That I Can't Find Factory . Silver Arrow Wheels, I'm Going To Go With My #2 Choice'

To Have My AMG 5 Spoke Wheels Redone It Would Cost Me Like $189.00 Per Wheel = $756.00

Or Get 4 Replica Off E-bay For $614.00 Total

Only Thing Is All 4 Wheels Are 18 X 8 And The Offset Is 23 mm on both wheels Front And Rear

The A M G Wheels That I Have Now Are Front 8 1/2-18 wheel With An Offset 25 mm With A 245 x 40-18

And The Rear Are 9 1/2 x 18 23 mm Offset With 275 x 35-18

and I Have To Put 245 x 40-18 Tires All Around On The Replica Wheels

The Question To You Wheel & Tire Guru's Will They Work On My Car And Look Good As Far As Fitment ?
I Do Like The Idea Of Being Able To Switch Front To Back Now And Then

I Really Need An Honest Option , And Not Be Sent Over To The Tire And Wheel Guide Post
Thank You
Harley03joe :Smoker:

THIS IS THE WHEEL

·
Registered
07 SL350, 14 BMW320, 05 SLK and 4.6 MGBV8
745 Posts
Joe
I agree with you in having the same all round - after all it is not as if we are in Mad Max land and can lay the rubber down, so 8J is quite enough with the added bonus of being able to change the wheels and get an extra few miles on a set.

The only trouble with replicas are that most of them look just that: replicas. Some are OK though but I would advise, if possible, to have a look at them. Just in case.

The 23 offset is a tad small. Ideal is 30-35. Many wheels have several variants of offset - have you asked the seller if 30 is possible? Otherwise a spacer, but sometimes spacers present their own problems - certainly in the UK, the very use of them invalidates insurance, regardless of the reason for using them.

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joe
I agree with you in having the same all round - after all it is not as if we are in Mad Max land and can lay the rubber down, so 8J is quite enough with the added bonus of being able to change the wheels and get an extra few miles on a set.

The only trouble with replicas are that most of them look just that: replicas. Some are OK though but I would advise, if possible, to have a look at them. Just in case.

The 23 offset is a tad small. Ideal is 30-35. Many wheels have several variants of offset - have you asked the seller if 30 is possible? Otherwise a spacer, but sometimes spacers present their own problems - certainly in the UK, the very use of them invalidates insurance, regardless of the reason for using them.
Well The Guy Is In Cal, Im In FL So Looking At Them Fitst Is Out Of The Question.

They Look Just Like The Silver Arrow Wheels Only Thing Is That The Reps Don't Have The Chrome Trim Ring
As FarAs Offset My Fronts Are Now 25 mm and rear are 23 mm His Offset Is 23 mm On All

Here Is A pic Of The Wheel
Rep Wheel

Factory OEM

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
9,092 Posts
I'll just add my stock reply..... DON'T BUY REPLICA WHEELS.

They may look the business but they are usually made from very inferior and worst of all, brittle alloy.

I wouldn't like to hit a pothole at speed and have a cheap replica shatter and the consequences that would follow.

Replica gear knobs fake Bosch MAF's are one thing but cheap alloy wheels with fake DOT TUV stamps and certificates where potential catastrophic accidents could occur are another issue altogether.

Don't compromise on safety, pay the extra and get the real thing and peace of mind.

Here endeth the lesson :D

·
Administrator
9,092 Posts
I would like to see how the replica looked after this impact?

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

They may look the business but they are usually made from very inferior and worst of all, brittle alloy.

I wouldn't like to hit a pothole at speed and have a cheap replica shatter and the consequences that would follow.

Replica gear knobs fake Bosch MAF's are one thing but cheap alloy wheels with fake DOT TUV stamps and certificates where potential catastrophic accidents could occur are another issue altogether.

Don't compromise on safety, pay the extra and get the real thing and peace of mind.

Here endeth the lesson :D
(((I'll just add my stock reply..... DON'T BUY REPLICA WHEELS.)))

Ok Ok Geez

·
Administrator
9,092 Posts
(((I'll just add my stock reply..... DON'T BUY REPLICA WHEELS.)))

Ok Ok Geez
Joe, I watched a consumer protection film once about counterfeit goods and one of the reports was on what looked like genuine branded alloy wheels.
They tested a genuine OEM alloy wheel receiving a the equivalent of an 80Mph contact with a deep pothole. Although buckled it would have been easily controlled by the driver.
The identical test with a replica wheel that originated in the Far East simply shattered to pieces and the consensus was that the car would have been totally out of control.
A metallurgist confirmed that the alloy and it's tempering was completely unsuitable to be used as an automotive wheel above 10 Mph.

I'm not scaremongering, but I do love you guys,
and don't want to lose one of you with an incident with cheap crappy wheels

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joe, I watched a consumer protection film once about counterfeit goods and one of the reports was on what looked like genuine branded alloy wheels.
They tested a genuine OEM alloy wheel receiving a the equivalent of an 80Mph contact with a deep pothole. Although buckled it would have been easily controlled by the driver.
The identical test with a replica wheel that originated in the Far East simply shattered to pieces and the consensus was that the car would have been totally out of control.
A metallurgist confirmed that the alloy and it's tempering was completely unsuitable to be used as an automotive wheel above 10 Mph.

I'm not scaremongering, but I do love you guys,
and don't want to lose one of you with an incident with cheap crappy wheels

Well I Do Understand, I Guess I'LL Just Keep My Crappy AMG Wheels And Have Them Redone, And Forget About Trying To Get A Nicer Set Of Silver Arrow Wheels On My Car
Thanks Redliner
Joe :Smoker:

P.S. $158.00 To Get My Crappy AMG Wheels Redone :(

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
What's wrong with me? I should of looked on the forum home page before answering your PM. It looks like you are real serious about this matter when you send out an ALL POINTS BULLETIN!

#1. You should be able to get your OE AMG 5 spoke wheels renewed ON your car for about $400.00 by a Mobile Wheel Repair guy. I did that with my front two wheels. I keep telling my wife that a women or drunk owned my car during it's first 20K miles.

Google a mobile guy in your geographic area and talk with them on the phone about price, etc.

#2 I like the SA wheel but you have to be careful with that wheel. If it's an OE wheel you will have a difficult time repairing the outer polished rim if you get curb rash. Others have been down this road.

If you can find the eBay guy that has taken that outer rim OFF and polished the wheel and then sells them that might be a good way to go if you ever get curb rash they can be repaired.

#3 I like the look of my staggered size AMG 5 Spoke Monoblock I because of the up to 285/35/18 wider tire that I can put on the back. I think they look cool from behind.

The only problem is that the rear tires ALWAYS wear out first and are costly especially if you go with a great tire like the Michellin PS2. But there is a work around. Buy a pair of used rear PS2's to replace the worn rear tires until the fronts need replacing.

I wouldn't go with replica wheels if I where going to change. I would change to this 19" at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/3174753-post19.html

Bottom line-
1. Repair your curb rash on the car.
2. Change out your stock springs to H&R springs with #1 shims on both fronts and a #3 buffers on the rear springs.
3. Get a M-B Dealership alignment and ask for there $90.00 SPECIAL that they may or may not have going at the time. So call first for a price and set an appointment.
If you have factory Xenon's they will 'auto level control'.
4. If not, you will also need a headlight adjustment.

You will love the look of your car.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Well The Guy Is In Calif, Im In FL So Looking At Them First Is Out Of The Question.

They Look Just Like The Silver Arrow Wheels Only Thing Is That The Reps Don't Have The Chrome Trim Ring
As Far As Offset My Fronts Are Now 25 mm and rear are 23 mm His Offset Is 23 mm On All

Here Is A pic Of The Wheel
That wheel looks like the way M-B should have made the wheel.
Who needs the outer ring when you get curb rash?
They are very difficult to repair if at all.
Others have gone before you. Trust meon this one.

Since I live in Southern California I would be glad to look at the wheel for you if you are REALLY serious. Let me know there name, address, and phone number as well as a web link.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Why is it that I have heard this on multiple forums?

It sounds like we should probably not just get caught up in appearance and price only.

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
What's wrong with me? I should of looked on the forum home page before answering your PM. It looks like you are real serious about this matter when you send out an ALL POINTS BULLETIN!

#1. You should be able to get your OE AMG 5 spoke wheels renewed ON your car for about $400.00 by a Mobile Wheel Repair guy. I did that with my front two wheels. I keep telling my wife that a women or drunk owned my car during it's first 20K miles.

Google a mobile guy in your geographic area and talk with them on the phone about price, etc.

#2 I like the SA wheel but you have to be careful with that wheel. If it's an OE wheel you will have a difficult time repairing the outer polished rim if you get curb rash. Others have been down this road.

If you can find the eBay guy that has taken that outer rim OFF and polished the wheel and then sells them that might be a good way to go if you ever get curb rash they can be repaired.

#3 I like the look of my staggered size AMG 5 Spoke Monoblock I because of the up to 285/35/18 wider tire that I can put on the back. I think they look cool from behind.

The only problem is that the rear tires ALWAYS wear out first and are costly especially if you go with a great tire like the Michellin PS2. But there is a work around. Buy a pair of used rear PS2's to replace the worn rear tires until the fronts need replacing.

I wouldn't go with replica wheels if I where going to change. I would change to this 19" at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/3174753-post19.html

Bottom line-
1. Repair your curb rash on the car.
2. Change out your stock springs to H&R springs with #1 shims on both fronts and a #3 buffers on the rear springs.
3. Get a M-B Dealership alignment and ask for there $90.00 SPECIAL that they may or may not have going at the time. So call first for a price and set an appointment.
If you have factory Xenon's they will 'auto level control'.
4. If not, you will also need a headlight adjustment.

You will love the look of your car.
(((What's wrong with me? I should of looked on the forum home page before answering your PM. It looks like you are real serious about this matter when you send out an ALL POINTS BULLETIN! ))))

Ha Ha Lynns
Now That Is Real Funny Ha Ha
Joe

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
This is an answer to your most recent PM that I decided would be better served if the rest of the forum could see it.

harley03joe said:
Boy Lynns
Lot Of Good Info

After I Get My Wheels Redone They Bal Them All Also
It's A 24 Hour Turn Around ,, This What They Can Check Them For Trueness .the Place Is Only 10 Miles From My House Im Going To Go Here.
Wheels America

I Think That They Will Do A Great Job.
My Car Will Be Up On Jack Stands For Only A Few Days,, I Won't Need It To Use ,, I Have 3 Other Veh.

i Might Replace My Tires With There Thats Whats On It Now Then Take To To Benz For A Wheel Algment And Hes Only 1 Mile From My House

eBay Motors: 275-35-18 245-40-18 NEXEN N3000 -4-NEW TIRES (item 180333704101 end time Apr-02-09 13:55:55 PDT)

The NEXEN N3000 Is What A Lot Of Folks Down Here Are Useing .

I Don't Drive Far Or Fast , My Car Is Just Like My Harley It's Just For Pleasure . We Have speeding Camera's On Every Light Poll, So One Might Say I'm Not Mr Fasty Ha Ha.

Also By Taking Them To The Shop To Get Done The Inside And Outside Will Be Like New, While I'm Waiting I Can Clean My Calipers A Re Epoxy Silver,, To Match My Car Them , Might Even Put Up Front Drilled Rotors.

Thank You For All The Good Info On The Springs And Things.
Joe :Smoker:
Yea, why not spray the calipers and change out the front only rotors. Good idea, and you will probably be a lot more satisfied with having your rims renewed rather than touched-up.

It's sounds, and looks like according to your Harley pics, that you are a detail kinda guy. If that's the case make sure you change out your front pads to Ceramics from Akebono(NO DUST) and you can get a great price at Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto and save an additional 5% if you Search BenzWorld for there discount code.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
May I suggest that you talk with Wheels America about changing your wheels to a “hyper-silver” color. I have a feeling that they might look good on your car and be a one of a kind.

Q20. My wheels have a very reflective silver finish that looks almost like a chrome or polished finish but painted, can this be duplicated? A20. This finish is what is called “hyper-silver” in the industry, we can duplicate this finish at no extra charge.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts