Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
02' CLK 430
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased the illuminated door sills for my 2002 CLK. I would like to know if anyone knows if the door sills are to be installed on top of the existing door sills or are they to be placed in lieu of the stock door sills? The dealer tells me that the door sills install directly on top of the existing stock sills. If that is the case the installation looks tacky. Can anyone help me with installation instructions or pictures of already installed sills (preferably day light pictures showing the ends of the sills, where the rubber molding holds the stock sill in place). Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ivan

·
Registered
CLK430
665 Posts
I don't have any installation instructions. I'm bad at taking pictures while installing s...

I don't have any installation instructions. I'm bad at taking pictures while installing something. It takes away from my concentration. Anyway, even the MB sills sit ON TOP of the OEM sills via double-sided tape.

The edge of the aluminum is perfectly aligned to the edge of the rubber edging on the OEM sills. However, upon closer inspection, one with a trained eye would know that it's sitting ON TOP...but that's how they all come.

If you have some electrical knowledge, then it should not be hard. Once you remove the OEM sill (to tap the wires), there is a plastic console underneath the carpet that runs along the entire door jam. The console houses a number of wires that go from front to back. From this, you can use a DVM to see which wire is hot and which is the door ground switch. It's relatively simple once you've figured that out.

·
Registered
02' CLK 430
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone for the information.

Thanks everyone for the information.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts