Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S500
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a trusted shop to install a radio in a '00 S500. I went to one shop already and was told that it would b $450 for the dash alone. Well I have a spare woodgrain dashface to be used, but I cant see them charging $450 to dremmel the face to open up the radio opening and making a trim ring to fill in any gap that may be present so the new one would fit. Now If they would have to MAKE one using fiberglass the hey, I will have no problem paying that...but to cut two little partitions and make a trim ring...:confused::confused: come on!

As an ex installer myself I know how much work could go into trimming and making a trim ring...which could be done in less then a hour. I would bo it myself..but i dont want to spend money on tools im only going to use once or twice.

·
Registered
ML350
686 Posts
Im looking for a trusted shop to install a radio in a '00 S500. I went to one shop already and was told that it would b $450 for the dash alone. Well I have a spare woodgrain dashface to be used, but I cant see them charging $450 to dremmel the face to open up the radio opening and making a trim ring to fill in any gap that may be present so the new one would fit. Now If they would have to MAKE one using fiberglass the hey, I will have no problem paying that...but to cut two little partitions and make a trim ring...:confused::confused: come on!

As an ex installer myself I know how much work could go into trimming and making a trim ring...which could be done in less then a hour. I would bo it myself..but i dont want to spend money on tools im only going to use once or twice.
You are asking for a trusted shop but you also want to pay less... its sort of the "get what you pay for" issue.. Sure you can have a shop dremel up the panel and make a quicky trim plate but the results are going to reflect the price that you pay...

$450 is not out of line for a proper trim panel: 4.5 hours at $100/hr. What is needed to make a proper trim panel is to cut the opening (im assuming you have a double din that you want to go in) and then fab a trim piece to fit the radio out of MDF. Then the trim piece is attached to the panel and built up with fiberglass to create a smooth contour to the radio opening. finally the whole panel is refinished in woodgrain covering. Thats why its $450 and not $100: its easily going to be a half to full day job once you figure in dry time, etc and we would charge a similar amount for the work at our shop... (we are in chicago) so the quote you got is not out of line for this area...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts