Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML320
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
North East with the changing seasons, city life, lot's of driving, outdoor car. Impossible to keep Chrome rims.

Fighting pitting is a uphill battle. I can keep it off the star of my rims, but the rest just spreads like acne. I'm going to follow some procedures I found and buff past the white haze spots sanding I guess, then polish and polish.

I washed my car every three weeks, but drive 30k a year and work hard in the ML>

It should also be noted I paid a super cheap price for these rims direct from Lorinser, and the reason was the grade of the chrome was lower. I will be staying away from chrome rims forever, well as long as I live in the Northeast. I guess garage, show car is the only way to do it.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A lot of work but its going okay. All day event. For anyone with chrome heading south, if you catch it wd40 and 0000 steel wool is serving me well. I deff won't get to polishing today. Already wiped out. I'm going to have to take the rims off, eventually to get the inner wheel better.

All you can do is steel wool 0000 and wd40 - these are some results.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

No polishing yet. It's very hard to get the oil residue off following. There are some micro scratches and of course salted pits spots remain. I think it came out okay and will be much much better following polishing. The pics here were my worst wheel.

Also, one of the rims peeled back a 2 inch piece of chrome - I'm not sure how to proceed here. Possibly a touch up paint pen or something. I was amazed by just how thin a the chroming really is.

Regards

·
Registered
2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
875 Posts
There are wheel refinishers who can fix that problem for less than new wheels.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There expensive. There is nothing that can be done for pitted chrome. The procedure I followed I was told is all that can be done.

Getting re-dipped is big bucks. Rims are cheaper. In Philly chrome is just hard, for a outdoor car. I wont ever get a set again, for a daily driver.

I put 8 hours in, and have about another 8 to go. They will still look just fine rolling :)

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,103 Posts
I know nothing about chrome rims but wouldn't a clear coat before waxing protect the rims better?
Mike

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
There is a hard and soft type of chrome. I wonder if they did the soft one on your rims as its much cheaper to do. I'd look at nickel plating if you ever get the urge to redo them. Much harder fairly cheap. You can even DIY nickel plate. Just need a tub of hot water with the right nickel salts and a timer.

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
Time for a powdercoat!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts