Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995 W140 S320 LWB, 1983 w126 280SE Euro
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Ive got a C220 Manufactured date Jan/1996, and im in the middle of changing the igition coils.

Now before undertaking this task, I mapped out all the wiring from the body of the coils, and drew them on a bit of paper. The impossible happend and my niece managed to spill oil all over the paper .

So here I am asking the question, does anyone of you guys know how the 4 wires that are attached to the body of the coils are wired? i.e which wire goes to which coil terminal.

There are four wires: black, black + white, and 2 pink/red wires

Any help would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
2010 E350, 2005 Tundra Sold the 1998 C230
322 Posts
I'm going to be changing plugs on mine today, I can take a pix or two, but mine is a 98 c230 so it might be different.

·
Registered
2010 E350, 2005 Tundra Sold the 1998 C230
322 Posts
Just finished the plugs. It is different. Each coil module has one smaller round terminal on one side and a larger high voltage terminal on the other to the second output (primary is straight down to the plug). Hopefully someone else can chime in here.

·
Registered
1995 W140 S320 LWB, 1983 w126 280SE Euro
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to be changing plugs on mine today, I can take a pix or two, but mine is a 98 c230 so it might be different.
Cool take some pics it would be nice to see how it looks on the c230

·
Registered
1996 C220
1 Posts
forgot to label the coil terminals

Hey Guys,

Ive got a C220 Manufactured date Jan/1996, and im in the middle of changing the igition coils.

Now before undertaking this task, I mapped out all the wiring from the body of the coils, and drew them on a bit of paper. The impossible happend and my niece managed to spill oil all over the paper .

So here I am asking the question, does anyone of you guys know how the 4 wires that are attached to the body of the coils are wired? i.e which wire goes to which coil terminal.

There are four wires: black, black + white, and 2 pink/red wires

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Same thing happened to me except for the niece part, i forgot to label the terminals on the coil. Does anyone know which terminal on the coils is the ground (-) for the Pink/Red wires? I know the Black goes to coil#1 and Black/White to coil #2 i am assuming to the positive(+) terminal of the coils which i didn't label either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone manage to get the correct wiring for the coils? Ive got the same issue. Can someone please post a pic of the wiring of the coils please.C220 1995

·
Registered
1996 C220 2007 ML320 CDI
1,830 Posts
The manufactured date doesn't really tell us anything, what MY is it? And does it have wasted spark or coil-on-plug?

Romeo, if you are talking about the wires from underneath, it doesn't matter how you permutate on a coil, it just matters that you get the right pair of wires to the correct coil. The ignition harness has 2 wires going back to the main harness, a short one and a long one. The short one will only reach the front coil, the long one is for the rear coil. The rear coil powers the #2 and #3 cylinders, the front one does #1 and #4. It doesn't matter how you wire a pair of cylinders going to a single coil because it's a wasted spark (#2 and #3 always fire at the same time, even if one or the other is at the top of the exhaust stroke). It just matters that you get thr right pair of cylinders to the right coil. The wires going back to the main harness are switched grounds directly controlled by the ECM, the ignition coils are powered by the long wire coming from the power block on top of the fender. It's very hard to mess this up, just use your head!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts