Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tumbler locked up on me the other day, luckily today I was able to get it to turn again. I have the key in the 1 position, now I just need to get it to come out. What brand tumblers have you guys had good experience with?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Do not get the Mahle or the URO (obviously). The Mahle that I bought made it so my lights on buzzer stayed on whenever the driver's door was open, no matter what and also. It also caused the blower motor to have no power. I only bought it because I was stranded with the car and that was the fastest one I could get knowing I would replace it with a genuine one when I got home. I strongly suggest going to the dealer for a new VIN matched tumbler and key. All the Mahle caused issues were not a problem with the MB unit.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That doesnt even make any sense, the tumbler just allows the switch in the back to turn Maybe you replaced the ignition switch?

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
I was not talking about the switch, just the tumbler and key. I think it could have had something to do with how the mechanism was clocked internally causing an issue with where the ignition switch ended up being clocked improperly at various positions. Door buzzers and even the blower motor circuit partly run through the ignition switch.

I still have the Mahle one if someone wants to try it in their car. I did nothing else but replace the Mahle unit with one from the dealer when I got home and problem solved. YMMV

Edit to correct the brand. It was Meyle, not Mahle.

I have the uninstalled ignition switch and steering lock sitting in my garage. I only replaced the tumbler.

·
Premium Member
10,084 Posts
I love Pelican Parts, but only buy OE there when they have it. If you don't it's just a crap shoot with Febi, Meyle, World Pac et al.

Kevin

·
Registered
729 Posts
I love Pelican Parts, but only buy OE there when they have it. If you don't it's just a crap shoot with Febi, Meyle, World Pac et al.

Kevin
Agreed. The tumbler locked up on vacation in North Carolina and we drove from NY. Pelican was the one that could deliver fast enough.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Its a shame how poorly the search function on this site performs. There is a treasure trove of information about common problems in these cars and one of them is the ignition tumbler. The lack of a good search function drives users away from doing research. That said, Google would give at least a very good look at the archives and help solve problems the best way possible.

As for ignition tumblers, why in the world would anyone want a non-Mercedes tumbler? There is only one reason; they did not look into the archives. Had they done so they would learn that Mercedes provides new tumblers with the exact same key code that originally came with the car. Translation: Genuine quality and only one key needed after a new tumbler is installed. Apparently the folks at Autohauz don't understand that the amount of keys on the key ring is what causes the tumblers to fail - their solution is to carry one key for the ignition and another for all the doors and trunk. If you have two Benzes maintained at the Autohauz standard, you would have four keys on your key ring just for your two cars. There is a better way. Search the archives.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was not talking about the switch, just the tumbler and key. I think it could have had something to do with how the mechanism was clocked internally causing an issue with where the ignition switch ended up being clocked improperly at various positions. Door buzzers and even the blower motor circuit partly run through the ignition switch.

I still have the Mahle one if someone wants to try it in their car. I did nothing else but replace the Mahle unit with one from the dealer when I got home and problem solved. YMMV

Edit to correct the brand. It was Meyle, not Mahle.

I have the uninstalled ignition switch and steering lock sitting in my garage. I only replaced the tumbler.

If you want to send it to me I would be happy to try it out and see if it does the same thing.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The OEM key is the best but the price is completely abusive.

I tried two non OEM locks and the problem is the poor quality of the metal used and non hardening at key friction points. One was so poorly machined that the key did not slide in/out easily !! But really this stuff is century old technology and NOTHING justifies the OEM price other than pure greed !

It's next to impossible to evaluate suppliers without seeing the tumbler. The third 20 buck tumbler lottery was better than the others so it was a buy and test process !!!

Denis
Mennecy
France

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
MERCOMAN
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing