Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I consider myself very lucky. Without warning went back to my car and my key would only go halfway in. Spent about 15 minutes and then a CAA truck drove up, he was grabbing a coffee. He tryed and then towed me home. The wheel was locked and the key still only went half way in, I gave up. Then my wife tryed and got the key in and then got it to postion one in about 15 minutes. I have 1987 300D, my wife took my Vanagon key which was similar size a little narrower/thinner and used it first, I guess it moved the tumblers a bit that were stuck. I used the coat hanger and removed the tumble no problem. I phoned my dealer here in Toronto and they said minimium 1 week probably 2 for service or coded lock doesn't matter, have to come from Germany.
In the meantime is it possible to move the car around drive to the dealer?When I took the lock out it was still difficult to turn the key and then all the pins fell out, it fell apart. Could I put the lock back in without the tumblers until my new lock arrives? Look better than using a screwdriver

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
I'd just use a screwdriver. Only use a dealer sourced tumbler as your replacement.

I'm surprised a Vanagon key would fit in there, since they look nothing alike.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,384 Posts
ONLY MB dealers can get you a VIN# matched keys & tumbler. ALL aftermarket ones are generic (non-matched) and use inferior steel causing premature key & tumbler wear.

·
Registered
1988 M-BENZ 300E | 1991 FORD PROBE GT TURBO | 2003 FORD EXPLORER 4x4
684 Posts
ONLY MB dealers can get you a VIN# matched keys & tumbler. ALL aftermarket ones are generic (non-matched) and use inferior steel causing premature key & tumbler wear.
Like I said a TEMPORARY solution while the genuine replacment is on order. It's better than using a screw driver.

·
Registered
1995 e320 wagon
165 Posts
Wow, one to two weeks? I got one from the dealer last week, took less than 48 hours. Where are you located? Maybe try another dealer...

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
The quality of those aftermarket tumblers is complete crap. A properly sized screwdriver will engage the glow and starter functions just fine in a temporary capacity--do not wedge them in place.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your suggestions. Tomorrow I will go to the dealer with my ownership and ID and hopefully it will be closer to a one week than two to get the new lock.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checked the 2 closest dealers and they said minimium 5 - 7 business days. Ordered the tumbler and key. Started the car with the screwdriver, turned to position and waited for glow light to go out and started right up. Third attempt could not start the car, waited for the glow light to go out, nothing wouldn't turn over. Any suggestions

·
Registered
W124
5,169 Posts
My local dealer gets these in two days. He says they are done in Texas. Maybe if he thought they were done in Germany it would take longer..........;-)

As far as your new problem; I'll take a guess - could it be possible you have to cycle the switch mechanism back to position "0" before restarting?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am in Toronto Canada, our service & prices for many things not as good . I will make sure I cycle back to position "0", thought I did but not sure now. Thanks for your suggestion

·
Registered
2005 E55
785 Posts
I am in Toronto Canada, our service & prices for many things not as good . I will make sure I cycle back to position "0", thought I did but not sure now. Thanks for your suggestion
Where in Toronto? Im at 404 and Steels area. w124 meet up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts