Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
~Hello,

Last evening I had to start my car and I had to really move the wheel around (more than normal ) to unlock the steering lock, and then It started.

Today, the car would not start at all. The key would move with some difficulty but I could get it to turn to all the positions including starting--but the car would not start. I could even "over turn" the key past the starting position, which led me to believe the tumbler is finally shot. Also after moving the key back to off, the aux power stayed on (radio etc) very odd.

So after reading here I removed the tumbler which I suspect is the problem--
I was able to shut the aux power off buy moving the piece in the starting mechanism see picture below
behind where the tumbler sits, and then by moving this same piece I could engage the glow plugs (postion two for the keY) but I could not get it to start.

Is there a way to get the car to start as I am describing with the tumbler removed?

I am concerned that the problem lies with the whole lock assembly being shot rather than just the tumbler. Could it be the ignition switch which I think is attached to the back of the starting mechanism? Pic also below

Thanks alot for your help--this is my primary form of transportation and without it I am stranded!

Attachments

·
Registered
Daily Drive 82 240D 4 speed
291 Posts
junk yard diving time!

grab one out of there real quick. They aren't too hard to replace. there is a video somewhere on youtube which should be able to assist you in the removal process. mine went to junk this summer. I have no idea what they are going to ask for it, but it's a simple job to just swap it out, or certain parts of it.

If memory serves me right, if you can get it to the "accessories" position, where the little divot is on the black piece, you just stick a small pin (paper clip or something in there) and the black part can just be unscrewed off. From there you just take out the lower panel of the dash. push in a button that locks it in place, disconnect the 2 vaccum lines (note which one went where) and pull off that back electrical connection.

It's mildly tight, but it is possible to get it out without pulling out the cluster and such.

(found the video)

·
Registered
Daily Drive 82 240D 4 speed
291 Posts
ha, i just ranted about it and then i was like "oh wait, he already got it out"

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I have it out

Help Me!

I bought a new tumbler and ignition switch, as from Autohaus it is cheaper to get both shipped free and send back the switch if I dont need it.

Has anyone else had the problem as I have described--I would prefer not to take the whole thing apart if possible

Anyone, Anyone......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same thing here

Sorry! don't mean to hijack your thread, but i'm preforming the same task and any suggestions would be awesome, I have tried repeatedly to remove the tumblers with the technique from the video.I also believe there may be problems with the switch as well, I'm still trying to find a good source for parts.

Thank You.:bowdown:

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well since no one is chiming in in my time of need....

TO remove the tumbler I had no luck as seen in the video with a wire--What I used was a heavy duty sewing needle.

Put the key in the postion 1 and (Where the key lines up with the notch NOT the hole)

And then you should be able to poke the hole.

What I did was to shine a light in the hole and very slowly move they key till I could see the hole line up with the key tumbler hole.
Also you can insert the needle only part way and drag it along untill it catches--it is going to get caught on the hole.

That will help you find it--now if only someone can help me...

Sorry! don't mean to hijack your thread, but i'm preforming the same task and any suggestions would be awesome, I have tried repeatedly to remove the tumblers with the technique from the video.I also believe there may be problems with the switch as well, I'm still trying to find a good source for parts.

Thank You.:bowdown:

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
**UPDATE**

Ok, for anyone else who may have this problem and stumble on this thread.

I replaced the tumbler and it did nothing, so it was either the switch or the steering lock mechanism--I took the steering lock mechanism apart and sure enough, the end of the shaft that is supposed to engage the switch was snapped off. Someone at Peachparts had asimilar problem (whose thread I found only after the fact!) but there is a photo there (of course now I cant find it again)

and another good thread Pictorial on how to replace your ignition lock with a stuck or broken key. - Page 2 - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

99 dollars later I got a new one that along with the new tumbler and switch I also replaced. Works a real treat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts