Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380sl 1973mgmidget
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys I lost my keys to the 1985 380sl and iam trying to get the the big wire plug off the back of the switch to replace with new switch with keys. ? is, does the old switch have to be in a certon position to unplug the wires or am i not pulling hard enough on the plastic thum grip? thanks for any help you can give me. Scott

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
Why not provide your MB dealer with proof of ownership and VIN and let him cut new keys?

You usually need the key to turn the switch to the #1 position to remove the lockset... Don't know about the electrical plug on back; however.

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 1973 450SLC
2,174 Posts
Hello rwa73, if your car still has the original ignition, and the key fits all your locks, I would go to the dealer. I went to the novi dealer with my title,(regestration is also accepted), and my drivers license, and they had keys ready for pick up within 5 days... I think this is the way to go. I don't know it the electrical connector has a lock. I have a grey market car, and they were still able to get the code...

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,164 Posts
well guys I lost my keys to the 1985 380sl and iam trying to get the the big wire plug off the back of the switch to replace with new switch with keys. ? is, does the old switch have to be in a certon position to unplug the wires or am i not pulling hard enough on the plastic thum grip? thanks for any help you can give me. Scott
There are screws (I believe slotted) holding the switch assembly in place.

Removing the cylinder and lock without key is a very big deal so I agree it would be better, if the lock hadn't been changed, to get the correct keys from the dealer.

·
Registered
1985 380sl 1973mgmidget
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all your replys guys, I already went to dealer with title and driver license and 17.00 dollars. wated 3 days and it came fedex. did not work in any of the locks on the car. called them back and they said the locks have been changed. ohwell time to get out the diegrinder and get after the little pin under the clamp that holds the switch in the colume,i was just wondering how to unplug the harnes from the back of the switch. and yes it is envolved job! I got everything tore apart,I just cant get the wireplug out of switch. cheers, Scott

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 1973 450SLC
2,174 Posts
have you looked at the back of the switch using a mirror to see if there are three screws holding the plug on??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Once you get the pin ground down and are able to slide the steering lock out of the column you will need to slice the three screws off that hold the ignition switch to the steering lock then turn the switch to position 1 to unplug the connector. I assume you intend to replace the steering lock assembly along with the key and tumbler.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,345 Posts
thanks for all your replys guys, I already went to dealer with title and driver license and 17.00 dollars. wated 3 days and it came fedex. did not work in any of the locks on the car. called them back and they said the locks have been changed. ,I just cant get the wireplug out of switch. cheers, Scott
Would have saved a little time if you had mentioned this in post #1.

·
7,166 Posts
...did not work in any of the locks on the car....
Interesting that all the locks were changed. That must have been expensive.
Can't help but wonder why. Do you have records per chance?

Did you try the glove box?

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,345 Posts
The 107 chassis and body manual was very informative. One note that said remove plug from assembly. What great help.

·
7,166 Posts
The following instructions are for a 560...
There is a lock on the plug on the 560, but do not know about the 380.

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,345 Posts
"Unplug the wire harness from the rear of the switch. On my original the key had to be in
the 'on' position to release the plug. On the replacement switch this locking tab was not
there"

Then we are back to square one. Need the key. Or the switch can be drilled out as a last resort.

·
7,166 Posts
...Then we are back to square one. Need the key. Or the switch can be drilled out as a last resort.
Yep, for the 560 anyways...
I find it interesting that ALL his locks were changed, although he has not responded if the glovebox would lock/unlock.

I can understand the driver door, and trunk, but glovebox and passenger door? I bet that cost a pretty penny. Sure makes you wonder if the key cutter messed up, don't it?

·
Registered
1985 380sl 1973mgmidget
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
well guys,after reading all your posts i think Ears is spot on with his post,also I forget about glovebox lock and went out to shop to try..nope nada. so i got nuten to lose now out with the die grinder and carbide bur and ground out locktumbler barrel,now i can at least start with screwdiver and turn switch per Ears instructions to unplug wires. Thanks so much for your help guys!!. Cheers, Scott

1 - 15 of 15 Posts