Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
560 sel 1987 420 sel 1988 , 300sd dead
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My switch was catching and became unable to turn, eventually. I tried to turn it to the right once to remove the cylinder but couldn't...my neighbor said to let him have a try and so he tried the "gone in sixty seconds" maneuver with a screwdriver and hammer. Needless to say, the cylinder is destroyed, and I don't want to spend the $$ to repair it at the shop. Any suggestions on how I can get my car going? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the ignition ('87 Mercedes 420 SEL). Does anyone know how to remove the steering lock?

·
Registered
1990 Mecedes-Benz 420SEL
1,217 Posts
Oh, noooo!!... It would have been relatively easy to get it out if you had been patient (the "two wires in the holes while twisting method"). Now it's probably very difficult. You obviously need to remove it (after all, you can't go through life twisting wires together to start your car!), so search this forum for many experiences with removing stuck ignition cylinders. I doubt you can get your key in anymore, so you will probably be stuck with radical removal. From now on... patience...

Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about installing two switches. One switch for the fuel pump and ignition so on and so on. And the one for the actual starter. o ya and the neighbor was like ooo this will work bahh bahh bah and then he spent 2 hours hitting it like a baboon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it was more like "I did this on my friends Chevy and it popped right out" well now i know its pretty dam hard to steal my car but dose anyone know how to remove the steering lock that seems to be the biggest problem

1 - 5 of 5 Posts