Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My key is broken for my W210. So as of late i've been using the thin plastic key that came with car. Lately when i put the key in it won't unlock the ignition to start the car I have to play with it in order to get it to turn on. Anyone know WHY this is happening. Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plastic key i am referring too look like an wallet key. It does't once in a while. Am just going to order a key from the stealership.

·
W210 Moderator
4,969 Posts
There is no wallet key on post 1998 W210. Only knob with remote, knob without remote and blades that open everything. Getting second key is still good idea.
not sure what you were attempting to convey, but there certainly is a flat
key which was issued with Smartkey compliant 210s. all of the below
are 210 operational with Smartkey ignitions

·
Registered
35,785 Posts
The flat key is just that. THE KEY. It is flat because it has no remote on it, yet with included blade it will open and start everything on the car.
The way I figured out to secure the car for wallet service is use blade key to lock the glove compartment and trunk and give wallet the knob with remote but no blade.

·
W210 Moderator
4,969 Posts
the flat key (as do main Smartkeys) work via encoded induction. insert into
ignition and interrogation of circuit determine whether to unlock. this is
underscored by the fact that Smartkeys do not require battery power to
function to unlock the ignition, though battery source is needed to unlock
the doors/central locking and convenience door/roof.

·
Registered
35,785 Posts
BTW the flat key is safe for taking to the beach or even swimming. I do have 4 keys with remotes for our W210, but no flat key. Tried to lock the car with blade key, but the lock were frozen from lack of use.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
So, now that we have established that there is such a thing as a wallet key, can anyone answer the OP's question?

I can't...but it could be a loose coil on the emergency/wallet/service key. This is the usual fault resulting in the normal key becoming inoperative.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
The flat key is just that. THE KEY. It is flat because it has no remote on it, yet with included blade it will open and start everything on the car.
The way I figured out to secure the car for wallet service is use blade key to lock the glove compartment and trunk and give wallet the knob with remote but no blade.
The metal key will not start anything on my car...but it does open/lock the doors and glove box.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
My key is broken for my W210. So as of late i've been using the thin plastic key that came with car. Lately when i put the key in it won't unlock the ignition to start the car I have to play with it in order to get it to turn on. Anyone know WHY this is happening. Thanks
Try giggling the steering wheel, easy, to see if the steering lock is giving the switch a slight bind, making it harder to turn.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts