Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 280 c
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question about my 98 c280 not turning over, it has happened twice in about 2 weeks. Both times I turned the key again and it started. Anybody else run into this problem.

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
I need to know more symptoms to be sure, but it sounds like the starter motor needs remo...

I need to know more symptoms to be sure, but it sounds like the starter motor needs removing and a special high temp grease put on the pinion.

If you use a dealer for this, he will have an MB technical bulletin on it.
On the V6, the starter motor is close to the exhaust. When at full heat, the pinion is slightly distorted.
If this is the case, you will notice the problem when restarting after a short break - eg, after a fuel stop.

·
Registered
98 280 c
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help, it gives me somewhere to start to tell the mechanic. There isn't muc...

Thanks for the help, it gives me somewhere to start to tell the mechanic. There isn't much more info I can give, but you were right about it occurring after short stops, one time was at the gas station and the other was getting coffee.

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
Then your problem is definitely as I describe. It hit all the early V6 models of which you...

Then your problem is definitely as I describe. It hit all the early V6 models of which yours is one.
The technical bulletin was issued back in 2000, it recommends the correct grease. Should not cost you more than an hour's labour charge from your dealer to remove, clean and replace the starter.
Hope it works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts