Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1983 240 D
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 83 240 D with pencil type glow plugs.I have to turn the ignition switch:confused: several times to get the glow plug light to come on, if it comes on at all. I tested the relay with a volt meter get 12.5 on the battery line and across the fuse. I read 11 v on all glow pugs. I hear the audible click of the relay disengaging. Is this a bulb issue? or is it in the ignition sw? How do I determine? Do I need to remove the instrument panel to replace the lamp.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
I have a 83 240 D with pencil type glow plugs.I have to turn the ignition switch:confused: several times to get the glow plug light to come on, if it comes on at all. I tested the relay with a volt meter get 12.5 on the battery line and across the fuse. I read 11 v on all glow pugs. I hear the audible click of the relay disengaging. Is this a bulb issue? or is it in the ignition sw? How do I determine? Do I need to remove the instrument panel to replace the lamp.
The Glow Plug light can act funny when one or more Glow Plugs is having an issue (but you would expect a harder starteing or uneve idle after starting issue if that were the case).
If you go to the Diesel Giant Site there is a pictorial on checking them with the Ohm part of your Meter.
The definitive test is to remove the Glow Plug and get a one Jumper Cable and test each individual Glow Plug on the Battery Terminals. The tips should get yellow hot with in about 2 seconds.
If the middle of the Element gets hot first that Glow Plug is no good.

Check the Strip Fuse to see if it is cracked and that the Screws holding it are snug.

If you are starting and idleing OK right after Starting and your Glow Plugs are OK it is sort of a tie between the Glow Plug Relay and the Ignition Switch.

If you are the type that does not mind going to the Junk Yard you could pick up a used Relay (or if one of our Members is in your area maybe they would loan one) and swap Relays.
If the problem is still there then I would suspect the Ignition Switch.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
Someone else supplied this info.

Glow Plug Wire colors on the square Connector and where they go.
Here is a pin out description:
1)rd/bk (Black) ignition switch
2)vi (Violet/Purple) On turbo models goes to a Wire Terminal/Junction block and mates with a White Wire coming up from the Starter Solenoid. When you Crank the Starter + Voltages goes through the White Wire to the Violet one and turns the Glow Plug Relay On.
3)blu/wt (Blue with white strip)glow indicator
4)br (Brown)ground

On other models the Voilet Wire may attach to the Starter Sonlenoid itself where the small screw is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts