Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
05 e320 CDI, 99 TDI Beetle, 96 Dodge Ram Cummins
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this situation relates to my last post concerning the thrown serpentine belt, which happened 2 weeks ago. The car has been sitting on a trailer at my mechanic's house, waiting for the new parts. All the parts have finally arrived and are ready for installation. When my mechanic tried to turn the key to get the car off the trailer, the ignition lock wouldn't release. Is there some anti-theft feature at play here?

Background: when I went to retrieve the car with this same trailer, after the belt had been thrown, the alarm would activate immediately upon moving the car trailer with my truck. It didn't seem to matter that I had the factory fob and was locking and unlocking the car with it. The car alarm would still activate. So I disconnected the battery and trailered the car home.

Question is does the key fob need to be reprogrammed? Dose it have something to do with disconnecting the battery or is this some other coincidental event?

thanks.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
I would say that the battery in the rear has gone flat, that is the first thing to try

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE: tried a portable jump box: no luck. tried jumping from another battery: no luck.

used the factory key fob when trying the above remedies.

the factory key fob works normally; locks/unlocks the doors and opens the trunk as it should. fob batterys seem to be adequately charged. the little light on the fob flashes, as the owner's manual says it should.

haven't tried charging the battery as Malcome suggested but that will be the next step. The owner's manual says that the ignition won't turn unless the trunk battery is sufficiently charged. Knowing that, why didn't the jump batterys have any effect? Don't understand all I know but I'll comply and charge the battery.

The owner's manual also references an aux battery that's supposed to be in the engine bay. Now I know my eyesight isn't perfect but I'll be hanged if I can see a battery in that engine bay. Is it only gassers that have the additional battery?

Anyway, battery charging's next on the wish list. As always, thanks for the information.

Joel

·
6,543 Posts
Ignore the battery up front, that is only the SBC back up on a 211, the head lamps should turn on if the main battery is OK.

I see as well that the battery has been left disconnected, the key will not turn with the battery disconnected and the shift has to be in P or N

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, I wasn't aware of any anti-theft anti-towing feature. Can you elaborate? What needs to be done in order for the car to function?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,134 Posts
An immobilizer is immediately activated as the car is locked with a key fob. Also if keyless go is used it is activated by shutting the engine down from the gear selector.
There is also an tow away button in the front center console above the mirror. It should have been used even if the car was winched up onto a trailer.
Pages 94-98 in the owners manual details all of the interaction of the alarm/immobilizer.
Disconnecting the battery while the system was active may have freaked it out. Even if the car is not locked, the anti-tow alarm is always on. It need to manually be deactivated before moving the car

A mechanic that works out if house that can not solve this problem is not somebody that instills a lot confidence if he can't get passed this problem. Their are system far more complex on this car than this one. What happens if one of those needs fixing?

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so my question remains "what needs to be done to make the car operational?" The car is not at the same location as myself; I can't access the owner's manual at this time; if you know the steps to deactivate this system, please state what they are.

·
Super Moderator
22,134 Posts
At this point if the battery has power I would be left with the only option I know and that is to connect it to an MB Star system and try to reset the immobilizer.
Some indie techs have them, but most of time that is a trip to the dealer. If a dealer gets it handled please
deactivate the anti towing circuit before moving it off the trailer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, thanks, Noodles. I'll start searching for an independant. If anyone knows of a good one in the northern VA area, let me know. thanks. Joel

·
6,543 Posts
But as I read the post the the alarm was not set, and there would be no point in loading it on a tailor/ truck with the car locked. Under these conditions the anti tow does not come into it.

I have a horrible feeling that the EIS may have gone down during the time the battery was left off, or could it be by chance that the transponder coil has fallen off in the key if it was dropped or knocked, always so hard with only one key.

There is nothing in WIS or STAR on un setting any anti tow device, the car is normally re set by just using the remote on the key.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks, all, for the information. I called Hagerstown MB in Hagerstown, MD, and the service advisor I talked to said my car does NOT have an immobilizer device. I told her twice the owners manual mentiones an "immobilizer" but she was adament the car doesn't have such a device. She said to charge the battery fully and try the key fob again and try my backup key fob also. I'll do that this afternoon. Thanks, MTRVELINO, I'll call Benz Elite.

·
Super Moderator
22,134 Posts
Wow, this is really odd. I did not know that some do not have immobilizers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts