Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

Working on this 78 SLC, the most important issue at the moment is that the ignition key will not turn.

I have done some homework on the forums here, and in the CD manual, and have decided that something must break to fix this.

but the idea of taking a drill, or a sawsall to an old benz makes me kind of...uppity..

so after i made damn sure there was no way to get this key to the ON position, i stuck a big ole snap on screw driver(not to be used as a pry bar) in the key hole and got on it with an adjustable wrench, and..chunk, clunk, snap and it seems to rotate, the metal faceplate, and at least some of the pins inside that are visible are all rotating.

I then found the little hole that is used in the op position, and found a 1.25 MM allen key, and stuck it in there, but the cover wont spin off.

here comes the question.

How far in should the pin, or wire your using go in?

i can put the allen key .59 inches into that pin hole, is this far enough? or have i just broken the front off the lock, and this hasnt gotten me anywhere?

Does the little locking tab that you try to depress with the wire depend on ALL the tumblers being down to drop?

ive got about an hour till all hell breaks loose with a drill, and maybe an air chisel...

never done an ignition lock on an old merc, so im wanting to destroy as little as possible.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
I'm not sure if the '79 is the same as my '75, but there was a plastic sleeve around the lock core that needed to come off, first. Then I could get to the bit that needed to be pressed down to let the core come out. The plastic sleeve was fairly thick, about 3/16 inch, and needed a bit of "persuasion" to slip off (towards te back of the car). There is a good sized groove that a flange on the inside of the plastic sleeve fits into, so the old, stiff plastic needed a bit of 'encouragement'.

Hope this helps some,
Scott

·
Registered
509 Posts

Dealer.
Sorry I deleted my querry, prior to your answer. 'I think?' At any rate, the ignition tumblers are available through several sources, but I'm concerned that they may be inferior quality, though one I found was listed as Bosch. My key is very worn, though still functions, but the key blade has worn perceivably thin. I just know catastrophe is awaiting me and since the tumbler mechanism is sluggish when turning, I was thinking replacing the whole tumbler, though 'just' a new key would suffice. I probably should try graphite in the tumbler to see if it might come back to an easier twist.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, iv gotten the lock out, the whole unit, i ground down the steering lock pin, loosened the column, and pushed and heaved and twisted and cursed..but its out.

now what? the issue im having is that the tumbler wont turn(just the face does), so i cant use the pin method

i found these parts

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

and

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

if i get those, i believe i will still be short the black cover for the tumbler.

anyone have ANY ides how to get this tumbler out without destroying things?

my thought is to carefully cut apart the black cover, and eventually the tumbler will be free.

anyone know if this will work? or just a half baked idea? if it has a decent change of working, anyone have an extra cover they could send me?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts