Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 ml 350 VIN 4JGAB57E25A548558
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I paid for the above titled items.

At least that'
key and tumber receipts.jpg
s what I think I am getting. When I called on the phone to get the cost of the ignition lock cylinder (tumbler)
they told me $80. Well anyway I just wanted to post the receipts and I THINK I am getting a new ignition lock cylinder
(tumbler).

Key I am positive about. It is a Mickey Mouse key. I already picked that up.

I guess I will know for sure when they call me to come pick it up! I just don't have much confidence in the kid who
was there the last 3 times I went.

Anyway, hope this helps anyone wondering how much it cost from dealership

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was right on the kid at the service desk, I should have known when I got lost on my way there when I asked do I head North or South. He said left.

Here is the ignition lock cylinder I ordered and got. Yes the key in it came with it. I asked same kid on the phone. Well anyway, I have an extra key that works in the ignition and door.
new key and tumbler.jpg

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,739 Posts
You can never have too many keys.....put it in a safe place that you can remember down the road.

Sounds like you have made some good progress lately. How bout posting a few pictures of your ride ?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,712 Posts
I was right on the kid at the service desk, I should have known when I got lost on my way there when I asked do I head North or South. He said left.

Here is the ignition lock cylinder I ordered and got. Yes the key in it came with it. I asked same kid on the phone. Well anyway, I have an extra key that works in the ignition and door.
That key will not start the car. It is shipped only to ease installation. And of course to keep wafers in place during shipment. Check that your new Micky Mouse key fits that cylinder. When pulling key out off cylinder make sure to hold wafers in place or they will fly out all over the place.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are correct I cannot have too many. I will post some pics today. Although, the car will be out of commission for awhile. I am now positive I should have been more patient as DrX stated. I am going to fix it the proper way. Or at least attempt. I do not want to drive it with duct tape over key and ignition hanging out. As well as continue using a screw driver to start.

The disk is inside the steering column housing. Where it originally was, although it is in wrong position and will not come out!

So Witek, I had no idea them wafers on the one I just got will fall out. I used the key that came with it as well as the Mickey Mouse I got a month or so ago to repeatedly slide in and out of it. Both raise and lower the wafers. Both unlock the drivers door.

The pic is top to botom in order of getting/using the item:

1. Original key and FOB that was worn down. FOB didnt work for a year or so.
2. Is part of Mickey I purchased in 2018 from dealer.
3. Is tumbler I purchased online.
4. Key blade from ignition lock cylinder purchased online. (tumbler to it is in vehicle minus all wafers/
5. Is Mickey that I posted receipt to. ( other is wired underneath car)
6. Is newest key and igntion lock cylinder I got yesterday.

Im going to give it 24 hours, and possibly take 2 wafers out of new one, and put them i
all keys.jpg
n one that is in the vehicle now.
all keys.jpg

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,405 Posts
The disk is inside the steering column housing. Where it originally was, although it is in wrong position and will not come out!
Weren’t you using that to start the car?

Does the screwdriver work? I thought the shaft of the disk had to press something inside the switch to operate it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Weren’t you using that to start the car?

Does the screwdriver work? I thought the shaft of the disk had to press something inside the switch to operate it.
I was. Then I decided to attempt to install it all properly. I put it ll in, but still would not turn enough to crank. So I took out the connector and switch and the disk doesnt want to come out. I spent a solid 3 hours on it yesterday.

And now it spins wth my finger while installed. I do not believe it did this before. Not too easily, but still spins a bit.

It is NOT a good idea to use a screwdriver on the switch to start and drive around like that. I broke another 2 ignition switches doing that. I ordered 2 more and Im not going to drive it til I get it in properly. They arent coming til Thursday..

I sprayed dry lubricant inside in hopes of getting it out.

If you or anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Springer, I was going to post some pictures but the car is right up against a dumpster and someone was on the other side as well.

DrX, I cant spin it. I can move it a bit with a pic type tool. And you are right. The disk does have to press into a hole in the
ignition switch to work.

And Witek, you must have been drunk when you wrote your reply about the wafers flying out. Or you just wanted to torture me. I spent a long time before I figured out you were just screwing with me.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. I spent about 20 mins again trying to remove disk. I checked, the metal gear disc did turn but I had to use a pick tool to turn it. it would not turn with my finger and it never spun.
  1. So I posted a picture from the balcony of where I am I have to go back out later and take pictures of the position because I believe originally I mean the first time the original ignition lock cylinder was removed I'm certain it was in position 1 because neither I nor my friend who took it out had a clue as to what we're doing. have to try to post from my phone here picture I'll get the other ones back on here later.
    20200517_105359.jpg
    20200517_105359.jpg

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wanted to let the community know that I am putting together a step by step of what I did from an unknown key position.
I guess it will be for knuckleheads like me who dont follow directions very well and find themselves lost and confused.

I can start the car up and drive still with all the items out of the housing. I discovered that 2 of the ignition switches I believed to be bad are still functional. I roughhoused them with a screwdriver when the gear disk was stuck and thought they were done. They still work fine with the gear disk. Im thinking if I leave it outside of the housing and used the disk, 1 ignition switch would last forever. Other than push that plastic button, I dont think it does much else. I remember when I removed the original one I took it apart completely. Anyway, just thought I would put an update here.

Thanks All

1 - 12 of 12 Posts