Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

W163 and General M Gremlin
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before it move forward to replace this cable, I would like some feedback on a possible fix to the existing cable, if any, by anyone that may be familiar with adjusting it (perhaps at the connector end).
I've pin-pointed the problem spot - the cable connector to the front of the gear shift, closer to the ps, has some back and forth slide movement while it's locked in place.
When I compress the connector end and hold it into the connection on the gear shift, the key in the ignition slides out freely, no issues.
If I release it and repeat this procedure without compressing the connector, the key remains stuck in the ignition.

Any thoughts on this?
I realize it's just a cable to replace.

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 4.50.40 PM.png

Registered
2002 ml55
Im just replying so I can tie your contributions/ posts this month.... I have nothing to add.. but I am sure someone will chime in ! :)

Registered
Dallas, Texas

Attachments

Reactions: khomer2

Registered
2002 ml55
James, I have my cable exposed at the moment.. if you need any pictures from inside my car... let me know.. will post. (ps: still tied on post contributions ;) )

Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Alfred!
Photo shot of the underside (if you can get in there, upside-down) of the cable location and spot.
It would be good to know, for the rest of the members too.

Cheers :)

edit:
Actually, dont need any underside photo shots- accessible from the steering column underside.

Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reference photos while I wait for the order to come in.

3 - T25 torx bolts, that hold the underside of the steering column cover. Recommend you pop the top cover off first for
easier access, and then removal of this bottom cover piece. Be mindful when disassembling these pieces. The edge areas of this lower cover, by both sides of the signal stalk and the wiper stalk, will catch/snag, so proceed carefully, starting on the signal stalk side first and alternating, if needed:
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 3.31.53 PM.png

Underside backside view (if you want to see what it looks like). Note: one of two locking tabs (opposite sides of one another) - just above the top red arrow shown, underside of the ignition.
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 3.32.33 PM.png

Front side view - cable with the star shaped rubber protection (surmising) tube piece:
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 3.32.25 PM.png

Front end of the control cable socket that the ignition lock control cable connects into:
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 3.32.12 PM.png

Self-note - virgin territory....
The 2 tabs on the backside of this front end look like a b*tch to get access to...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts