Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to replace my ignition leads but have a question for the experts.

Apr 1994 C180 W 202 M111.920

When I change my plugs, the end of the lead that connects to the spark plug has a handle attached so that I can easily pull the connector off the plug. The plugs are buried in engine block quite a way down.

The model I have is early, so there are no coils near the plugs, they are located to the right of the engine block as you are facing the front of the car.

So, here's the questions:
1 - The connectors on the plug just pull off with a firm tug, I assume the connectors at the other end connected to the coil pull off in a similar way?
2 - Do replacement ingition leads have all the connectors and handles so I basically remove and replace everything, or is it only the actual wire that runs from connector to connector? In which case I assume I have to dismantle the cable and just replace the ignition wire?

Any assistance and advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm wanting to replace my ignition leads but have a question for the experts.

Apr 1994 C180 W 202 M111.920

When I change my plugs, the end of the lead that connects to the spark plug has a handle attached so that I can easily pull the connector off the plug. The plugs are buried in engine block quite a way down.

The model I have is early, so there are no coils near the plugs, they are located to the right of the engine block as you are facing the front of the car.

So, here's the questions:
1 - The connectors on the plug just pull off with a firm tug, I assume the connectors at the other end connected to the coil pull off in a similar way?
2 - Do replacement ingition leads have all the connectors and handles so I basically remove and replace everything, or is it only the actual wire that runs from connector to connector? In which case I assume I have to dismantle the cable and just replace the ignition wire?

Any assistance and advice would be appreciated.
I don't know about spare shops where you live but in SA you can buy suppressors (Ends of the cable) and cables and make your own cables. I prefer to replace everything makes it look more original and the old suppressors will probably be brittle by now.

BTW does your car have the traditional rotary type ignition system where you have one coil for all the cylinders, with a distributor that controls which plug fires when?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. So it sounds like your saying that at a minimum, if I order some TopGun Ignition Leads as replacements (which is the plan), I'm likely to have to dismantle the cables when I pull them out so that I can re-use the end connectors. Or, as you suggest, purchase new end connectors. Is that correct?

P.S. - I'm not sure about the distributor. I believe I have electronic ignition. The other end of the leads do not go into a typical round distributor cap with four connectors but go into two pairs of connections seperated by 5-6 cms. So there is a two leads on one side, in a block and two on the other.

·
Registered
120 Posts
yeah pretty much i am just not sure if you can reuse the old end connectors. Reason being I am not sure how the Ignition leads are attached to them. It might be an easy job where you can simply pull the lead out of the end connector - Best case. Or you might actually have to open the end connectors to replace the leads on them, if they are not sealed units. That you will need to investigate and see whats going to be the best. I usually buy Bogi Cords which is a germen brand soled in SA that is a complete identical replacement to the existing ignition leads with the ends already molded on as part of the kit. It also sounds like your car has the coil pack system, they just placed the coils in a different place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts