Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1994 C180 Elegance

I've had excess static on my original radio for some time now and was was thinking that I may be able to get rid of it, and provide a little more power and smooth running to the car by renewing the spark plugs and ignition leads with a new set, since it's pretty easy for a weekend warrior to do.

So after looking around, I'm thinking Denso Iridium IQ20 spark plugs and a Bosch B4656i HT Lead Kit.

So, does this sound like a good idea? If anyone has done this, can they tell me what their car was like afterward?

Does anyone have any better suggestions for parts other than the Denso and Bosch parts? I'm in Sydney Australia, if that helps.

As a further idea, perhaps I need to upgrade the ignition coils as well?

Final question, I have not priced the parts yet, any ideas what this will cost?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Do you have the aerial in the rear window glass? (some earlier models had the aerial in the LH wing)- that is a common problem for AM reception (in Sydney) in particular - FM is better

There is a aerial amplifier in the RH rear C pillar that may be worth looking at first. - The estate has a noise suppressor above the tailgate - don't know about the sedan

Oberoi

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since I've got an early 1994, my aerial is the old automatic raising one that comes up when the radio is turned on. The connection from the aerial to the radio is a coax cable, so provided the connection to the radio is ok, the shield should be in place.

I don't believe the ignition leads have been replaced for some time, perhaps the life of the car, so that means they've see 160,000 kms. I don't get so much static in the open but if I drive through a tunnel it's much worse. My theory is the ignition leads are leaking, so the EMF radiates from the leads, bounces off the walls of the tunnel and gets received by the aerial.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts