Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E420
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got into my car this morning and the ignition key doesn't turn. I tried moving the steering while while simultaneously trying to turn the key. That didn't work.

I did some searches here on the forum and I guess there isn't a DIY type thing for replacing the ignition lock. I apologize if this has been posted before, I found a thread this morning where a guy posted his invoice for $1000 from the dealer but I cannot locate that thread anymore.

Should I just have my car towed to the next MB dealer or can I do this myself? I'm not a mechanic but I could replace the window regulator, the mid-console air vents, etc. So I can do some stuff but wonder if the key is out of my capabilities.

I also tried the replacement key without any luck :(

What would you do?

Thanks!

·
Registered
03 E320 4M Wagon & 97 E320
3,926 Posts
Here are the Mercedes WIS procedures for removing the ignition tumbler.

Then somehow you need to get the key to turn to position 1. Use some kind of vibration source like a jig saw or sander or whatever to touch the key while turning it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
139 Posts
strange not too long ago the same happened to my E420, i know this is going to sound strange, but if u jiggle the key around a bit can you get it to turn? (if never at all then dont even try this) I could but as soon as i turned the car off again, it would be stuck; If So, what did I do? I sprayed a SMALL amount of WD 40 onto my key blade and wiggled it around in the ignition and repeated a few times, then !! it turned to the on position! turned it off, turned it on, but i didnt start it, i waited till i could be sure everything was dry before i even attempted to start the car.
All i know is since then it hasnt got stuck.

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
nvest80,

How many miles on mb, and have you changed the car battery yet? You have a twelve year old car.
The original battery is coloured white with mb logo on it.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,919 Posts
Al thought there is lot of coverage on older cylinder tumblers, those 3 years that had them on W210 were not covered and I still had to do it the hard way few months ago.
I added conclusion to topic started by other member here http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1381869-help-key-wont-turn-ignition.html
Let me know if I can help more than in the thread before. I contacted the first member about unlocking the steering wheel and there is no other solution, than cut it off, so be extreme careful not to activate the lock.
Good luck

·
Registered
03 E320 4M Wagon & 97 E320
3,926 Posts
Kajtek:

Good to see your post (post #12 in the thread you linked). Is it right that if you do it carefully, the lock won't be activated and replacing the tumbler would be just like in the older models?

Thanks,

PS. I have updated Post 2 with two WIS procedures.

·
Registered
1997 E420
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello everybody,

Thanks for all the replies. I did some oil and I also cleaned the key but both didn't work.

I have 164k miles on my car and as far as the batter goes, I replaced the original battery about two months ago and didn't have any issues with the car since I replaced it. The weird thing is not the the car doesn't start, it's that there is absolutely no way I could turn the key to position I.

Thanks everybody and I will post an update later today.

·
Registered
35,919 Posts
Before my ignition tumbler became extremely hard to operate I had a problem turning the key for about 2 years. Spraying lot of WD40 inside the tumbler and inserting the key several times with wipe before each reinsertion helped a lot during those 2 years before I decided to replace it.

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,175 Posts
you might try ordering just a new key (not remote, but key) from the dealer. They aren't very expensive and you'll get it the next day. It could be the key you have has worn enough it doesn't match the tumblers anymore. Or, do you have a key that hasn't been used much that you can try it. If that works, you can get just the key for the remote as well, it's also pretty inexpensive (<$25).

·
Registered
35,919 Posts
Sure it looks easy on video with clean parts. As I mentioned in the thread before -pulling the black ring with old shavings holding it inside took serious force.
Than in my case the key needed to go to position between 1 and 2 for tumbler removal. That was another learning curve.

·
Registered
1997 E420
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found an excellent video on this procedure. I assume it is in the W202 service DVD. However, I think it is the same as in the early W210 with mechanical keys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5UPPxd6bSs&feature=PlayList&p=4F13245E66EA1577&index=67&playnext=2&playnext_from=PL
Thanks for posting the video. Unfortunately I couldn't turn the key at all and so I came to the conclusion that the best thing would be to pay somebody for the job. And I'm glad I did. Tomorrow I can pick up my car and it was repaired for around $800 with a brand new lock/tumbler and one set of keys that works for the entire car. So for me I decided to not make this a DIY job. I'm sure there is plenty of other stuff (hopefully not ;) that will come in the future where I can spend quality time with the car and fix it myself...

Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
1997 E420. 1983 300D, 1998 BMW 328iC
38 Posts
Ok, I have my new tumbler from the dealer and manage to remove the tumbler and the black locking mechanism...but how do I REINSTALL the black mechanism.....I 'm not sure how to get it back in. Is the flat piece on the mechanism facing 3, 6 or 12 o'clock position???

Ok, got it, the flat piece faces 9 o'clock and you reinstall along with the tumble. You then turn it to the 12 o'clock position and it will click in and alloe you to turn your key to the off position and extract.

Thanks everyone! No more nightmares of $800 towing and cutting repair bill.

·
Registered
W210 E300D 95' Elegance 330.000 kms
89 Posts
Electrical key cylinder removal

Hi all,

I have a '95 W210 E300D (blade key) and i would like to know how to remove the electrical part of the key cylinder. I´ve done some research on the forum but it´s mainly for the mechanical key part.

What i need is to remove only the electrical part of the cylinder, does anyone how to do it???

Thanks a lot,

Diamond

·
Registered
13 Posts
Key and tumbler issues; E320 97; please help!

E320 97; My situation is very simular: I was able to turn the key into position 1; Disconected the battery; Ran to the dealer and ordered a new key and a new tumbler. Unfortunately, there is a 2 to 3 week backlog.
Can anyone help me with the following questions:
1. Can I change the tumbler while the battery is disconnected?
2. Do I need to remove the instrument cluster and disconnect the trunspoder coil? I saw this mentioned only in the WIS procedures but nowhere else
Thanks

·
Registered
1997 E420. 1983 300D, 1998 BMW 328iC
38 Posts
There should not be a 2-3 week waiting period. They call in the order with your Vin # and the factory replaces your tumbler and cuts the new key in NJ Montvale, I think. You should get it in 2 days at your dealer when they overnight it with all the other overnght deliveries. You do not have to disconnect the battery nor take out the intrument panel. It is all contained in the tricky lock mechanism.

·
Registered
35,919 Posts
Find local indy warehouse. Very likely they will have the tumbler laying on the shelf.
That what happened to me few times in the row. Dealer charge more and have waiting time, while the warehouse sells over the counter and they stock lot of items.
They are located 4 blocks apart.
The transponder coil comes up front and hangs on the wire. No need to disconnect it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks a lot!
I disconected the battery because I was afraid I will be not able to turn the key again. Just wonder now do I need to connect it back for the tumbler replacing.
The dealer (LI ) told me the order will be shipped from Germany. Will try to find any indy one. Any suggestions? I am in LI NY.

THanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
W210 E320 1997 Tumbler removal HELP needed!

I feel absolutely dumb. After ordering the tumbler and the new key from the dealer, backlog from Germany for 3 weeks, and after buying special sleeve and ring removal tools I am at the same point as before.
This blue color “removing ring” tool is not fitting right or needed, or I am doing something completely wrong!
How I can remove these two rings on my ignition? I watched the video but it shows only the final tumbler removal procedure.
How can I get off the plastic big black ring and the smaller one, with the “metallic” inland? I tried to unscrew the big one but with much success. Please help!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts