Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 S600, 97 S600
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody
I have recently purchased a 95 S500 (not running).
The guy tricked me saying the only thing that was wrong with it was a fried ignition control module.
2000 USD later I installed the EZL in the car and ....
NOTHING.
The engine cranks but never even showed the slightest interest to fire up.
Is there something I might be missing?
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanx

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
How many miles on the car? Is the harness fried? I have the feeling you have opened/purchased a very large can of worms.

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Back to basics: fuel, spark, timing. Although 95 is the last year

for the wiring harnesses with biodegradable insulation (as already mentioned). The insulation on engine compartment harnesses that are subject to extremes of temperature becomes brittle and cracks severely. Especially problematic is the fuel injector wiring harness. Give your injector and other wiring in your engine compartment a good visual inspection. To see what bad wires look like, search this forum for username "pcmaher". This guy just did some brilliant rewiring of throttle actuators and air mass meter connectors.

Brett

·
Registered
95 S600, 97 S600
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car has about 112K miles and looks pretty good inside and out with the exception of the mentioned facts. The wiring harness insulation jackets are somewhat brittle in places but I took apart the air intake and have detected no major rotten spots under it yet.
Did find a mouse nest, with dead inhabitants [:(]

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I'm going to wager the car needs to have it's body mounted harness as well as the injector harness replaced. Last time I sold a set it was for around 2800-3000, but I beleive MB has had a price increase since then.

Sorry to hear about the mice[:(]

Jonathan

·
Registered
95 S600, 97 S600
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RE: Back to basics: fuel, spark, timing. Although 95 is the last year

Got back from the MB dealer later today, found out that the use of dielectric grease between the ignition control unit and the body of the car is primordial. Got it installed right and actually got the sparks going in the engine.
Still nothing though.
Now I ran into the next dillema.
The fuel rail has a bleeding valve looking live a tire valve stem right in the front center. I opened it and no fuel came out even when cranking the engine

Does that mean that my fuel pump is dead too???

PLease let me know
Also, is there 2 of them on a 95 S500?
I still am waiting to see if I won the service manual on e-bay so I can start tearing that car apart.
Thanks for your input guys !

·
Registered
95 S600, 97 S600
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PANIC

After reading all that I took a real close look to the fuel injector harness....
The wires are rotten on every one of the injectors and not only the protective jackets but even the insulation itself.

Do you guys think the rest of the wiring that has not been exposed to high heat is in that bad of a shape too?
DID NOT SEE THAT ONE COMMING
I guess I am in the market for a complete wire harness or at least fuel injector wiring loom so if anybody has a spare one let me know.

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
RE: PANIC

ok_simpson, I don't have a spare harness, but I do have p/n and cost info for you. MB p/n for the Engine Harness with Injector Connectors is 1405404705, cost is about $550.00. It's available from Fastlane at http://catalog.mercedesshop.com/. I'm pretty sure you could find it at other suppliers as well. But if you do order from Fastlane, tell Phil I sent you. Your order will go well. He's a great counter guy, and very willing to help. You should really check all wires that are near the engine. I found trouble in my wires.

p.s. Thanks for the compliment Brett[:)]

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Well, I chage 520 for the exact same harness..Most of the US is 2-3 days at the Most from where I ship.

Let me know if I can help!

Jonathan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts