Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went to start the car , I turned the ignition , and it clicked . Tried again , while pressing the accelerater and it started.

Later in the day I tried again , and it started right up

Any idea's , is a new starter needed ?

·
Registered
MB W124 300D 1986
25 Posts
I believe you are looking at a new starter.

I had the same problem, it slowly got worse and one day it did not engage at all. I then gave the starter a light tap with the shaft of a hammer and it started but then stayed engaged so I had to disconnect the battery to stop it.

I think the problem is as simple as lack of lubrication of the starter mechanism, so it might be possible to fix it once you got the starter out. I have never tried it though, as they are not that expensive.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,706 Posts
It can be bad contact in the solenoid, or wear out brushes. Slight chance it could be ignition switch.
Years ago I was able to buy those parts separately and rebuild starter for low cost, now you have to buy whole thing I am afraid.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,745 Posts
If it were me, I'd check the condition of your battery. You need 12.4v at rest for a fully charged battery. With the car running, you need no less than 13.4v at the battery terminals. If you have less than 13.4v, the voltage regulator is most likely failing.

The VR is easy to replace and no expensive. Usually less than $30 from online sources, approx $40 at NAPA. It is located on the back of the alternator and held in place by two phillips screws. Takes about 15-20 min. to change out.

Good Luck

Jayare

·
Immoderately Caffeinated/ Vintage Moderator
T5
17,016 Posts
Forget pressing the pedal, it did nothing. For a cheap and basic solution my suggestion is to check the battery terminals for looseness and corrosion. Make sure they are tight and clean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts