Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 380SE / 86 300TE
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend i had to replace my ignition barrel on my W126 which all went fine,apart from the multiplug on the back of the barrel when i pulled it out the wires came off of the male pins,so now i don't know what go's where.
The 7 male pins on the back are marked up
as:15R,50,30,15X,30,15,P30.
And the 7 wire colors are:RED+GREEN,PURPLE+WHITE,REDX2,RED+YELLOW,RED+BLACK,GREEN+WHITE.
So if anyone knows what wire go's on what pin i would be greatful if you can let me know.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,290 Posts
Hi kenmac,

Wiring info according to the CD info for MB MY 1985.

Clockwise around the schematic diagram:

30 x2 = RED. Upstream they are wired in parallel to 12V feed.

15R = RED/GREEN

15 = RED/BLACK

50 = VI/WT or PURPLE/WHITE This circuit energizes the starter, cold start,...etc. I do not know what the color 'VI' in VI/WT means. The function though is consistent throughout the years.

15X = RED/YELLOW

P30 = GREEN/WHITE

Cheers, MBL

Attachments

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,448 Posts
I have an ignition switch barrel sitting on my desk, ready for the heart transplant. Is it as simple as use the metal rod (paperclip) into the hole and unscrewing the bezel? Does the switch sit still and the bezel unscrews off the front?

·
Registered
84 380SE / 86 300TE
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks MBL
That's been a great help i'll let you know how it goes.
Mike
I cant tell you that as my barrel had collapsed in on it's self so i couldnt get the key in to turn to position 1,which you have to be able to do to unscrew the the front cover.
I had to take the the first piece of the steering column out and use a grinder to cut the steering lock in half so i could press the release button and withdraw it from the colunm.
So why do you need to replace your barrel?

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
The key is not working consistantly, sometimes doesn't want to turn, plus the key is worn and I only have one key for the car. A new ignition tumbler set should give me a properly turning ignition switch and a new key for the car since it's issued by VIN number for that car. I'm just not sure on how to replace the tumbler set and wanted to do it tomorrow (Saturday) morning. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
84 380SE / 86 300TE
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Every body i spoke to over here said that if you can do it in yhe normal way it's fairly staight forward.
Do you have a MB manual for the car?

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I got a description of the process from the MBCoupes archives and it went well. A big paperclip in the hole, unscrew the steel surround with the help of a punch, then install the new tumbler set and repaint the surround to touch up the scratch marks. Done.

·
Registered
84 380SE / 86 300TE
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to hear you got it done OK.How long did it take to do?

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Ken,
It should have taken 30 minutes but the collar was a bit difficult to take off - 1987 560SEL which means it's been sitting there for 18 years.

It took an hour to do the job. 45 minutes to carefully get the collar off, a couple of minutes to sand the collar face and grease the threads, ten minutes to put the collar on over the new tumbler set and then use the black pearl touchup paint for the car to pretty up the collar face. Done. The large paperclip I used for the pin fell out a couple of times and that let the latch reengage the collar, so I used a pair of needlenose pliers to wrap the paperclip around the key fob to make sure it would stay put. It only took a few minutes after that to get the collar off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts