Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes Benz ML320
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son lost the key to our 2002 Mercedes Benz ML320. Instead of replacing the key, my ex husband ripped out the ignition thinking he would bypass the programming issue. Of course that didn’t work and now he has replaced the steering column with ignition and key and ecm from salvage but the car still won’t run unless he pours gas into the breather. Could someone tell me the problem and what he needs to do now, please? Thanks in advance.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,900 Posts
The steering column w/key he purchased is practically useless. The key is married to the engine computer and will therefore not start the engine.

He (the registered owner) must now go to a M/B dealer and order a new ignition lock cylinder and two keys according to your VIN# and the dealer will have to install the lock cylinder and program the new keys to your computer.

And there is no getting around this.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
2,800 Posts
The steering column w/key he purchased is practically useless. The key is married to the engine computer and will therefore not start the engine.

He (the registered owner) must now go to a M/B dealer and order a new ignition lock cylinder and two keys according to your VIN# and the dealer will have to install the lock cylinder and program the new keys to your computer.

And there is no getting around this.
I thought it was possible if you got all the modules with same part number, keys, and transponder. How would the computer know it was in another car.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
2,800 Posts
But with all relevant modules ECM EAM DAS AAM and transponder with keys how will the truck know it in a different vehicle?.
I could probs get all for less than a dealer visit and purchase of a new key and programing and the bull shit bolt ons that would come with it.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,455 Posts
megadamp, you're right about replacing all the modules. That will work, but if any of them ever go bad or you lose a key, you are SOL. There's no way to order a replacement as you are not the registered owner of that VIN.

To the OP: You don't need to order a new ignition lock cylinder if your ex hasn't discarded the old one and can swap it in. Just a new key, and seriously consider ordering a spare one.

Edit: Your ex could also solve it by replacing the DAS module which slots into the EAM under the dashboard. You need the DAS from the same wrecked ML that the ECM came from.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
2,800 Posts
Thanks DrX. I know what you mean. For me that would be fine, i would just work my way around it but for others it would be a problem. I was talking about a complete vehicle i.e a wrecker that would come with a title/log book, but it would be an issue with the dealer or an indie. It was also for other Known problems mine being a 99. It would be the only way i could justify keeping here alive.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,900 Posts
To the OP: You don't need to order a new ignition lock cylinder if your ex hasn't discarded the old one and can swap it in. Just a new key, and seriously consider ordering a spare one.
If you read her opening post she states that her ex-husband "ripped" out the lock in order to get it started. Now to me that means he used brute force to remove it and that is the reason why he purchased a new steering column.

In order to keep the integrity of the truck's vin# character in place, she would only need to install a new lock cylinder with two new original keys. This would alleviate any future problem with vin# identity, re ECM, EAM,or DAS.

Also, with their system, and you in agreement with it, how is the problem solved of manually locking and unlocking the vehicle. They would not have a key blade to fit the door locks in case of emergency.

So I say again, the only thing this vehicle would need is an original key cylinder and two new keys to get it operational again.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,455 Posts
Also, with their system, and you in agreement with it, how is the problem solved of manually locking and unlocking the vehicle.
I don't agree with it, I just told her what had to be done to get the car started.

The OP's description implies that the ignition switch assembly was broken in his attempt to remove the lock cylinder without using the correct tool. Of course if it was damaged and rendered inoperable then it needs replacement. She also mentioned that he replaced the ECM, so if the original one has been damaged or discarded that's a bigger problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Couldn't you purchase a used ecu and the same ignition switch with the key and install them both and have the car run again? As in, purchase the two parts and the key all from the same vehicle that was the same year and model as your own vehicle.

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
13,531 Posts
Couldn't you purchase a used ecu and the same ignition switch with the key and install them both and have the car run again? As in, purchase the two parts and the key all from the same vehicle that was the same year and model as your own vehicle.
Welcome to BW Kevin,

fyi. This is a 7+ yo post.
You may or may not get a response from one of the members on this.

Re-read post #9.

==

If you could kindly,
For your benefit and the benefit to all the readers,
Complete your BW registration profile
so members may better assist you, seeing and knowing what you drive.
Goto your ===> user CP profile====> click on your icon (top right corner of the webpage) ----> then click on "Account Settings"----> goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make model YEAR (i.e. 01 ml320) into your Profile ----> click save.
YOUR vehicle info will then show/display under your username & avatar
(on the left side) once it is completed. THEN members will see & know what you drive if replying), instead of scanning your post or scrolling thru a thread.

It's the cordial thing to do when you 1st register and signup on an automotive forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.