Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
clk 320 convertible amg kit and wheels
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to view a 1999 clk 320 convertible, drove well no smoke or nothing, i left it idling for ages to check for overheating and the temp reached about 100 and the fan came on, i think it has a elec fan not the viscous type, the fan came on and off and it hovered around 97 to 100 i think, and did not go above that .

is that normal, or may it need a thermostat or something ? also the heating blew very hot.

·
Registered
Mercedes 230GE then Range Rover Classic Overfinch Softdash then Mercedes 190e now CLK 230K Cab
78 Posts
remember thought that your coolant has a higher boiling temperature than water, unless your putting the finest highland spring water in, but thats just silly!

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
The radiator cap acts as a pressure relief valve, keeping the pressure of the coolant at 15 psi (max). This pressure, and the effect of the 50/50v mixture of water & anti-freeze, effectively increases the BP of the coolant from 100 degC to 125 degC.

By contrast, the BP of water on Everest @ 8848m elevation is 69 degC -so keep away from there...:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i purchased it and took it for a good drive through london, and in traffic was about 97 and lower when driving or when heater was on, but i think the needle on the temp gauge might be sitting a little high anyway.

but it drove great no problems at all, Beautiful car to drive.

thanks for your input.

·
Registered
Mercedes 230GE then Range Rover Classic Overfinch Softdash then Mercedes 190e now CLK 230K Cab
78 Posts
congratulations on your new purchase, enjoy many happy miles

Tommy

·
Registered
Mercedes S320 CDI 2007
111 Posts
Bargain aren't they? Couldn't beleive how cheap these cars are going for in the UK just now. I bought my 88k miles clk 430 avantgarde (fully loaded, heated seats, comand, phone install, xenons, climate) with full service history & in mint condition for £2k a few weeks back.

Few weeks of driving has shown no problems except new set of tyres.

Mental.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, you can get a lot of car for very little yes :), its a silver convert with amg kit and alloys, ill post some pics soon, the only thing that did scare me was the fuel consumption lol, but i was aware of that before buying :).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts