Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,971 Posts
Hmm... Thinking of selling it? I would you would get big bucks for it its so clean....

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,747 Posts
karugs said:
How much do you think I could get from it?
Given the large amount of diesel-sucking crackheads out there, probably quite a lot.

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
No, you aren't allowed to sell ;)

But seriously, would you really sell the car? As far as I know you have a good deal of sentimental value held in the car, and while newer might be faster and more comfortable, it lacks the character.

If you were to sell it I think you could get $7-8k

·
Premium Member
2002 CLK 430 Convt. '91 420 SEL, '80 240D, '93 190E Sportline, '70 300 SEL 6.3
1,564 Posts
Boardmonger said:
If you were to sell it I think you could get $7-8k
That's about what I was thinking. Any less would be an insult, and any more would put it out of most buyer's range. It's always interesting to speculate on what our cars are worth! Sometimes we value an automobile so highly, we wouldn't consider selling it - but everything has a price and is "for sale" for the right $$ !

The problem is, what would you replace it with?? I have always regretted selling some of my cars in the past. I'd sure like to have my 1970 Trans Am back!

roncor

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
Bingo. If I sold my turbo I'd always feel "empty". The red euro was not the same way, but I did feel sad and I still miss it.

I sold my euro for just over $5500 and it was just that, a full euro 300d, manual everything with under 120k. The interior was a 9 out of 10 and the exterior probably a 7 or 8 with a few dings and a bad quarter. I was quoted about $800 to repaint that quarter. With that and dents pulled out it would be an 8 or 9. Mechanically an 8 or 9.

Pat's car is a solid 8, probably even a 9 cosmetically. The interior and exterior are spotless. I can't comment on the mechanicals of the car, but I know the motor sure is clean. Miles are somewhere around 170k and I think he has the full history of the car. In my book he could ask $8500 and stay firm and get it if he wanted to. Just don't sell it out of state, that would be 2 more blue plates lost.

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,892 Posts
you couldnt pay me enough to sell my 240D

·
Registered
2007 S550
1,165 Posts
My insurance company bought my 81 240D from me for 3,700..... then I bought it back from them for 500. At this point with all the work, parts and labor I couldn't sell it for near what it is worth to me, so I guess this one is priceless! My 83 300DT just rolled over 100,000 so it's just barely broke in. I wouldn't take less than 7,000 because everything works, it runs like a striped ape and it gets me nearly 30mpg consistently.

Getting back to Karugs question..... you should start at 8500, but please don't. I like you owning this fine specimen, it gives the rest of us something to shoot for, like the gold standard of a clean car. :)

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
If it weren't for the renewed interest in the diesels it wouldn't be worth nearly as much as it could be now.

Did this spark some interest with that 190E on Saturday?

·
Registered
European 1974 350SLC ,'78 300CD& '80 300CD sold , '81 240D SWMBO's Car '84 300CD & Euro
679 Posts
Jeeze ~ I hope this isn't one of the super clean ones I saw at the Diesel Head meeting a couple months ago ! you'll kick yourself black & blue if you ever part with it.....

I still miss my old '78 Diesel Coupe and it was a junker plain & simple , that's why I sold it , it'd drive anywhere but was FUGLY .

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Roncor and Dbtk's thread on appraising the cars is what I meant to know really. I never knew the real value of my car because I got it essentially free from my grandma and basically working it up to better and better shape so it pays for itself I guess.

No Curtis it wasn't that 190E. I told you the other day, I would restore mine and buy another one to drive daily so mine wouldn't get (ab)used. I remember when you helped me with the bushing repair (that didn't work), and I was under the car and asked you, "What would you do if the car fell on me?" and you said "I'm taking your car!" :D

Cyberbach, thanks for making my day. Let's just say I had some problems and got really depressed... but thanks for snapping me back to reality. I don't want to uplift my car to such a position, I just really like this car but I guess I got really lucky. I remember when I first test drove it before finally saying we'll get it, that this guy in a muscle car (Camaro maybe) asked how much "we" were selling it for. I told him "Sorry I'm getting it". And after watching Heroes' Hiro Nakamura (for those who can't relate, he can travel back in time) I'm sure it would have been a whole different scenario if I didn't get it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts