Registered
C2D SLK32K
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
SLK55,CayenneS,XKR
1,995 Posts
Thanks for the link it sure does look better now with the mods, It surtenly turned out meaner

·
Registered
2005 SLK55
664 Posts
Wow. 2 different LSD's. Very Nice!

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
tungster, I'm not a fan of the r170 but your car is done nicely, very clean, and aggressive at the same time. You been spending alot of time around here, any chance you might join us soon? The r171 is calling your name. :D

·
Registered
C2D SLK32K
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ynot said:
tungster, I'm not a fan of the r170 but your car is done nicely, very clean, and aggressive at the same time. You been spending alot of time around here, any chance you might join us soon? The r171 is calling your name. :D

Thanx for the kind words.

I have been a fan of the R171 since it came out and IF I were to get one it would have to be an SLK55. But for a model change I can't see spending 70k for one. I just paid mine off after 5 years with a $1050.00 a month payment and do not want to deal with that large of a payment again hence why I did everything to mine instead.
Before my mods I was seriously thinking about getting a 55 and I mean very seriously thinking and almost did it.

As far as mine goes I tried to stay with the stock look when its closed up and get it as far as I could WITHOUT "Ricing it out" and I think I have acheived just that.

You guys over here in the R171 forum are very cool people and glad that I haven't been tossed out because I don't have one but I love hearing and seeing what mods, problems, suggestions and other things that you guys are doing to your cars.

Again....thanx for welcoming me here.

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
Tungster, that's one KOOL R170! :) You would do very well with the R171, maybe in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350 Diamond Silver
59 Posts
Tungster,

How much did it cost you to do your LSD doors? Was it worth it? Is it easier to get in/out? Did they have to cut anything?

Thanks!

·
Registered
C2D SLK32K
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
slk_sid said:
Tungster,

How much did it cost you to do your LSD doors? Was it worth it? Is it easier to get in/out? Did they have to cut anything?

Thanks!
It was worth every penny and no cutting that I know of!!!!

Here is a reply that I gave to someone who asked the same questions:

"The Lambo doors are very practical and I have never had a problem with mine. My shop did a set on an SLK55 and they looked sweet.
Do not get the US models as they only open up 10 degrees out and you HAVE to put the door up in the air to get out. Mine came from LSD Doors in Europe. They are a bit more expensive but you get a few things more than the US models. LSD Doors open 30 degrees so if you're in an area where you don't want anyone to know that you have them you can still get out with plenty of room without lifting them up. Also the LSD Doors are approved by the "TUV" Germany's equivalent to the "DOT" and the TUV are more strict on what they approve.....and last....they HAVE been crash tested. The safety alone is worth the few extra bucks.

US models about 1000.00 - 2000.00 without install
For the LSD Doors my shop charged me $5000.00 out the door. The hinges are $2299.00 for the R170 and R171. They took 3 days to install because every time they make an adjustment they have to take off the front quarter panel but on mine the alignment is perfect and I have had them for 1 year and have had no problem whatsoever. One day they had the front quarter panel on and off the car at least 12 times."

I hope that this answers your questions.

·
Registered
858 Posts
:D Super nice SLK. Great evolution and picture history. Enjoy what you have. Thanks for taking up with R171 forum. You have much to share.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Cool. I liked the black wheels, black grill look best. Looks good either way but the black wheels were BAD.

·
Registered
2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
1,950 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 230 & SLK350 and Jaguar XF PL
568 Posts
Always thought that my R170 is a better looking car than my R171 this proves it.
I like your current wheels not to keen on the black.

gary

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
tungster said:
Thanx for the kind words.

I have been a fan of the R171 since it came out and IF I were to get one it would have to be an SLK55. But for a model change I can't see spending 70k for one. I just paid mine off after 5 years with a $1050.00 a month payment and do not want to deal with that large of a payment again hence why I did everything to mine instead.
Before my mods I was seriously thinking about getting a 55 and I mean very seriously thinking and almost did it.

As far as mine goes I tried to stay with the stock look when its closed up and get it as far as I could WITHOUT "Ricing it out" and I think I have acheived just that.

You guys over here in the R171 forum are very cool people and glad that I haven't been tossed out because I don't have one but I love hearing and seeing what mods, problems, suggestions and other things that you guys are doing to your cars.

Again....thanx for welcoming me here.
Yeah, I guess car payment does suck, it's also hard to part with a car that you've spent so much money and effort modding, maybe when the SLK63 comes out (if ever) it'll be time for another car and keep your r170 as a classic.

Your SLK is far from rice, it's a sleeper, it'll surprise any r171's or any other car for that matter on the road. LSD is not my thing but I can imagine all the looks, ohhs and ahhs you get when coming out of it. :D

·
Registered
C2D SLK32K
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Corkscrew said:
Great wheels! Doors, too. What did it set you back?
Wheels and door total were about $7000.00.

I added up ALL of my mods and (maybe I shouldn't post this...lol) everything came out to......................$35,240.45.

Plus the cost of the car new in 2002.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts