Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 190E 2.0 1988. changed engine oil y'day. i used 15W-40 as recommended. today when i started the vehicle i found that it was idling too high. how can i reduce it. i tried lifting up that air cleaner casing but i couldn't fine any screws. please help me. in a bit of a mess. it idles around 1500rpm. can it be cause of the new oil?

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 190E 2.6
140 Posts
I doubt that the oil would have any direct relation to the idle speed. There is a very long list of things that can mess up the idle speed on these motors. The most likely cause I can think of that would result from unrelated work under the hood is a vacuum leak. You may have disturbed a connection somewhere accidently. If it hasn't been done in recent memory replacing all the vacuum connections under the hood won't cost much and will greatly reduce the number of minor and some seemingly major issues in the future.

Other than that, two of the most common causes of idle problems seem to be a sticky idle control valve or the infamous OVP relay. It is unlikely that an oil change would have an effect on either of those but it is slightly more likely that you bumped a vacuum line when you were replacing the oil filter.

I would not recommend trying to make any adjustments on anything before you know your vacuum system is tight.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts