Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

When I was putting my exhaust back on, I believe I damaged the (then new) idler arm bushings as I am getting a knocking noise coming from the center of the car when I am turning and going downhill or over a bump.

I am confident that's what happened...
I replaced them last time with the exhaust already off, so this time its a different approach.

I have read that you can do it by raising the passenger motor mount, but I also vaguely remember reading that if you remove the top bushing with the bolt still in place, it gives enough room to remove them both without removing the motor mount...
Any ideas if that sounds right or anybody tried it?

Thanks

·
Registered
94 E320
209 Posts
The trick is to knock the top bushing out of the "tube" from the bottom. Then there is enough room to wiggle the bolt by the exhaust. A small piece of plumbing pipe works. Of course you have to get the bottom bushing out first to do this.

·
Registered
1993 300E 2.8
329 Posts
yes ^^

-remove metal shield around it (10mm nut and 10mm bolt)
-remove bottom 24mm nut (hold top 24mm with another wrench to stop free rotation)
-remove bottom bushing from below first (I used lock-joint pliers and wiggled back and forth and pulling down)
-now can remove long bolt etc from top

·
Registered
'95 E320 Wagon,'71 250C(For Sale!)
247 Posts
Please RSVP ASAP...

Reinstalling the bolt with a Febi rebuild kit that did not include the top washer so I am reusing the old one.

Do I have it oriented in the right sequence?

Is the are bend point downward from the top of the idler arm as shown?

Man, that nut was horrible to remove!

Thanks, holding for an answer.......

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
'95 E320 Wagon,'71 250C(For Sale!)
247 Posts
Nevermind, the washer on top goes between the bushing cup and idler arm. Arm is correct.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts