Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93' 400E
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so this is the story... I have a 93' 400E and had been having an idle surging issue rarely but still happening once in a while. I have been doing much research on the fact in the forums but to no exact cureable answers. Anyway, I have been paying much attention to the issues I would have and compare to threads I have read. Depending on traffic, outside temp., driving style, etc. the problem would be different. So I traded cars with my brother for the day and he had tried to mimic my driving style and see if he could reenact the same issues. At this point and every time we traded and he drove the car, it would not have the problems that I have experienced.

So long story short, he thought that it was my shoes causeing the problem.... Now the shoes I wear are boots. Big steel toe boots. I have been wearing these pretty much everyday for about two years. So I laughed at his conclusion to the idle, surging, stalling issue. But I agreed with his conclusion and bought a new pair of shoes. Tenis shoes. Mentioning to him that if this wasn't the case, then he would pay me the cost of the shoes. A bet if you will...

Somehow it has solved the problem. I havn't had any issues for a week now. I don't get it, but changing the shoes fixed the problem. Of course my exhaust needs to be replaced still. I get a bit of a hesitation at a cruising speed, something feeling like a strong head wind when the car is cold. Though once it warms up all is fine.

Just thought I'd share the tale.
Cheers...

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,938 Posts
Who Knew..... I'll sell all the tennis shoes I can get my hands on for $49.99 per pair. With all of us that have this or similar problems out there, I figure to have retirement income for years and years...

My paypal account is open .....................

Good Story Ogre ... thanks for sharing.

Shoeless Jayare

·
Registered
93' 400E
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to add to the story....

I haven't had any issues with the hesitation though the idle surging issue did come back just a few times. The shoes played a big role in the issue, however they didn't solve the problem 100%. Which of course I'm sure no one bought. Anyway, the issue is still there somewhat. So i believe there is a vacuum leak that is acting up once in a while. I will look in depth and relay the news.

Cheers...

·
Registered
E320 wagon
953 Posts
Ogre

I would try a throttle body cleaning , remove or unsnap the intake ducts -sensors and spray them with carb. or brake cleaner.

With the car at idle spray directly down the throttle body in puffs , it will almost stall and rev up -spray some more. About half a spray can every oil change.

The air side never gets clean, as the fuel /injector cleaner added to the tank never get there. I notice better low end torque.

Give it a shot.

·
Registered
1983 300TD W123 (ol Goal) & 1993 400E W124 (lil blackie)
1 Posts
Uboater
I have that same low end problem too. I'll give the throttle body idea a shot (sorry for pun), thanks. I have a idea that it may be a fuel filter problem too. It hasn't been change in over 10 years. Does anyone know where to find the fuel filter?
Greetings,
jlo

·
Registered
E320 wagon
953 Posts
jplopez

I just changed my filter , by the right rear tire -just forward of the axle ( that's on a wagon ). There is a plastic tub cover with a few 10mm nuts -once that's off the lines are simple to remove.

Always hold one side of a fitting with another wrench while loosening , and make sure to have everything straight / untwisted before tightening.

I cut my filter open ,it was very clean . I don't think it restricted any flow.

Uboater

·
Registered
93' 400E
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, so the rubber did not solve the problem but it was worth a try. Instead I took the car to the Dealer after much frustration with trying to diagnose the issue myself. I realized that it had to do with something electronic, and that was the case.

The techs had diagnosed the issue in-depth and came back with some interesting issues. The one main issue was the throttle actuator. So this is the dealers report:

CUSTOMER STATES ENGINE LACKS POWER ON ACCEL. HOLDS BACK. ALL TIMES.
SEE TEAM LEADER BEFORE WORKING...
INTERNAL ELECTRICAL FAULT WITH ASR THROTTLE ACTUATOR
ROAD TEST VEHICLE, MULTIPLE CONDITIONS NOTED. SPOKE WITH CUSTOMER AND ADVISED OF HIGHEST PRIORITY ITEMS (VEHICLE WILL BE WORK IN PROGRESS) R&R ASR THROTTLE ACTUATOR/REPLACE.
REPLACE CRANKCASE VENTILATION HOSE FROM ASR ACTUATOR TO R/S VALVE COVER. ROAD TEST.

Of course there are quite a few different things that can cause the idle surging issue, and there are a few items I can still fix, I'll have to say that I now have no more idle surging issues. It was infact the throttle actuator. Now the car runs like a dream.

I hope that this can help anyone out there with similar issues.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
ASR is a pain in the butt :( Glad you got it working, and that team leader sounds like someone who knows his stuff about the old MB's :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts