Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 W202 C230 Kompressor
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new here and have a problem. I would apperciate any input. I searched for my problem but did not see anything that looked like it would help.

I have a '95 E320 and am experiencing an idle problem. It started under normal driving conditions. It is cycle revving at idle, when gas is added it stalls a little and then lunges forward then runs ok an occasional sputter or miss. It seems to do this cold or hot and I have no check engine light. I changed the plug about three months ago, I inspected the harness and it look in excellent condition. I am going to change the fuel filter in the morning (can't hurt) but I do not think this is the problem. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

13oh3...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More info:
It seems to run fine for a mile or so then the engine just cuts, it doesn't bogg down it just cuts down to like 1000rpm and then it either dies or I give it alot of gas and it catches and is ok for a mile or so.
I said before it did it cold or hot but it seems to be worse when hot.
I had an old DSM that had their common TPS problem (for reference if anyone is familiar with mitsubishis). It is similar to that only more eratic and it seems to be taking place at all rpms.
Thanks...

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
13,022 Posts
Check your OVP relay. Located behind the shield, behind the battery. They are prone to fail and cause these types of problems. It is a silver box with a henged lid on it. Under the lid are two fuses.

Has the wiring harness been replaced. Another known failure point on all Mercedes models from 93 - 97. A bit expensive $900 - $1100 depending on which dealer you get it from. The Mercedes thought process at the time was to be more of a "green" company when the cars met there end. However, the material used to shield the wires, breaks down and turns to dust, due to heat etc. If this hasn't been changed, it will need to be. This is not a problem of "if" it will fail. It will fail, just depends on when.

Do a search on wiring harness and you will see many, many threads regarding this topic.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum. Make sure to fill our your profile so we know more about you and where you are located.

Jayare

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I updated my profile. I located the OVP. Mine only has one fuse, I checked it and it was fine. I als checked the connection, it seemed ok. Is there any way to test the relay to see if it is not performing properly and any idea on how much it cost to replace?
Thanks again.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
13,022 Posts
If you go to autohausaz.com, you will find your replacement OVP relay (Over Voltage Protection). This relay performs many functions, but i am unable to provide you with testing procedures. If your OVP only has one fuse, then it is the original one. Replacements have two fuses.

Check to see that all of your vacuum lines are connect and there are no leaks. using something like WD40, sprayed on suspect area's while the car is running will help you determine if there is a leak. (rev's will go up if leaking)

Good Luck,

Jayare

1 - 5 of 5 Posts