Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The idle speed on my Aug 94 S280 seems to be too low. When the A/C is on and I select D it chugs a couple of times before starting off. The clutch seems not to engage properly. It idles at 500RPM, does anyone know the normal idle speed and does anyone know how to change the idle speed?

My car starts off in 2nd gear, is there an easy way to select 1st from a standstill without going into kickdown?

Sometimes the engine seems to missfire on selecting D and heading off. It makes a noise like a very short car horn before running normally. Does anyone know what this is, a missfire or a signal to me?

The car has 80 thousand miles and a good Merc service history.

Has anyone managed to get a hold of side mirrors with built in indicators (flashers) for this car?

I appreciate any help,

Thanks,

MF

· Registered
300 TE 24 Sportline
374 Posts
1st Gear

Sorry, can't help you on the rest but as for 1st gear take off all you have to do is while stationary move the selector from D to 2 , hold it there for a second or two and then move it back to D.

Voila, 1st gear take off without going into kickdown.

· Premium Member
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,334 Posts
This is among the most cluttered post I ve ever seen in here...

none the less...

Idle speed is not adjustable in W140, though 500 seems to be too low, scan the car and see if you have any codes for misfire, or throttle body, causing the idle to be low. other reason for low idle is bad MAF sensor or clogged air filter, as well as worn spark plugs. all of these cause the misfire when first taking off as well.

in short, perform a tuneup, and if that doesnt do it, then replace your MAF.

1st gear, what are you trying to achive by that? the car will become extremely jerky, and you ll put wayyyy too much torque on the tranny, engine mounts, axles, everything that rotates in the car...

in short, the car is designed to start in 2nd gear for comfort and reliability reasons and will start in first ONLY when you need it, by flooring or shifting to "2"... keep it that way...

mirror wise, unfortunatly you are out of luck, your car has 1st generation mirrors, and there are no manufacturers for mirror covers with blinkers for your model.

· Premium Member
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,334 Posts
where would i find a clutch for S280? I think the year is 2000 but i cant find that yr in any search. PLEASE HELP URGENT
you are in the wrong board... W140 siezed production in 1999. so find out what car you have, then post your question in the appropriate board.

plus what does your clutch have anything to do with the original question???

kindly, learn how to use an internet board before you post your questions. please start a new thread in the correct spot, after you find out what car you have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.