Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Date registered: May 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help, Again my 92 500SL just started to idle high over 2000 rpm, then low, then back high again.My check engine light is now on. I just had a tune up with new plugs, wires etc due this this happening before. does anyone have any idea whats going on with my, as yours, sweet 500 SL ride?I'm going to take it back to the shop of course but just wanted to know if anyone has an idea of what's wrong. Thanks

·
Premium Member
Black SL 500 1994
1,026 Posts
MAF sensor? I've never had the problem myself but I recall having read similar posts here. Do some searches and you should be able to find something.
You don't have a K&N air filter, do you?

·
Registered
1999 SL 500/ 2006 CLS
42 Posts
Try taking a look at the mass air flow sensor, located on the back top side of the engine....might be a vacum line off or cracked.........cost me $400.00 at the MB Dealer...its worth the look.Good Luck

·
Registered
'05 SL65 AMG
505 Posts
Sounds like a Mass Air Flow sensor. Have someone read the codes to be sure. when I worked at the dealer we used to give them a sharp tap with a screw driver handle while the engine was running. If bad the car would usually sputter or stall.

·
Registered
SL500 96
2 Posts
After reading about idle problems usually caused by vacum leaks, I took a look at my SL500 (going up and down between 600 and 1600 rpm). A hose behind the left fronlight was not mounted (diameter app. 7 mm). I mounted it and now it runs like a dream. Took 5 minutes!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well well, it's 2016 and I finally got the problem solve for the high idle issue with my 91 500 Sl . It was a bad Engine control Module- ecm. Car runs perfect now. Update I've also wasted money on a 04 500 Sl...ABC suspension issues ...wtf is going on with Mercedes car quality???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts