Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500SEL
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This started yesterday.. I was accelerating and I felt a little hesitation... only on slow acceleration..

then sometimes when I am at full stop , the idle chockes
for a bit,,

I turned the car off and after an hour I drove for about 15 mikles and nothing happaned..

Today it happened a little bit coming back from work,,,

could it be dirty idle control valve???
can I clean that with carberator cleaner..
also should I use something like DuraLube Fuel treatment additive to clean my fuel system ..

if not where should I start diagnosting..

the car has only 63K miles (1985 500SEL)

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I would clean the air idle valve.. Carb cleaner works. Also, no duralube.. Techron or Redline fuel injector cleaner.. 1/2 tank w/ a whole bottle is good (unless for those of you w/ reman fuel distributors, the new rubber does NOT like concentrated cleaners..).

Might also be a gummed up throttle butterfly, or sticky throttle plate. Check and make sure the plate is clean and centered.

When was the fuel filter replaced last?

Jonathan

·
Registered
1985 500SEL
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jonathan..

thanks for the fast reply..

you seem to know a lot about these cars..

umm by looking at the fuel filter , it looks fairly new.. but I will change anyway..

should I put the additives you mentioned after I change the filter or before..

Thanks...

·
Registered
1985 500SEL
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jonathan..

That Techron stuff does magic man..
the hesitation is almost gone 100%

I am still planning to change the fuel filter..
(by the way I cleaned the control vavle as well, but that didn't help much )

Thanks again

·
Registered
280SE 1985
25 Posts
I had the same problems few months back, after few trials and error, including replacing the fuel pump, the engine will only run smooth using petrol/gas from Esso station (exxonmobile),- maybe they have the Techron stuff formulated into it.

Replacing the fuel pump, from my experience, wont chase the "hesitation problems" away, but it does increase my car performance significantly ( acceleration et al)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts