Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my brother who lives in Winchester England has been talking to me for a few weeks about buying an R230 Mercedes. He's always liked my SL55 and would like to get one for himself.

I agreed to help him look for one while I was here in the UK (which I am now). My initial thoughts was to find an SL350 as the average speed everywhere in London seems to be 20mph. However a couple of nights ago, I was walking home from a meal and stumbled across a dealer in West London with a 2006 SL500 that appeared to be in great shape.

We took a closer look today and spoke to the dealer. The 2006 SL500 in the UK is a 2007 model year SL550 for the US so it has the 5.5 liter M273 engine.

He says that it has full dealer service history and comes with a 1 year warranty (which I need to investigate). In any case, I took a picture of the vin # and pulled the data card on the car. The Engine # is in the 29000 range so this is the engine which was impacted by the balance shaft / idle gear problems that plagued the earlier models as this appears to have been fixed on engines with numbers in the 80000 range.

I'm wondering if there is any way to check if this has been addressed by the dealer. My brother wants to come back and take a second look at it and I plan on inspecting the receipts. If it's traveled 81,000 miles, are we in the clear?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E320
3,258 Posts
If the dealer consents, pay for a PPI at an indy and have them verify by pulling the cam adjuster solenoids and check the markings on the camshaft adjusters and see if they line up. If they don't, it will trigger a P0016/17 and will need idler gear.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts