Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings....my MB tech said I should replace the idle control valve. I need a bit of help locating it: 1992 2.3 230k miles.

I am a modestly talented diy'er, so please be specific as possible.

The idle is surging....from 700 rpm up to 1600 or so, then back to 700.

Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks! If I recall, the last time I had the air filter housing off, there were
many items under it.....I will take a look! Thanks....

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,226 Posts
The power source for the ICV comes from the OVP relay, so it could be possible that the OVP or the fuse on top is failing.

Try disconnecting the connector on the ICV and see if it simulates the high idle you are experiencing. When you plug it back in the idle should drop back down.

Also, you might try cleaning the ICV along with checking the hoses going to and from the ICV.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great pic..thanks a ton! I have already replaced the hose the is just to the left of the arrow in the pic, the one that has the ridges in it. I also suspect the OVP, but got an idle control for $35, so I will replace this first.

OVP relay: Is this just under the leaf screen by the battery?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope....actually runs great, just revs up & down when idling. It does not mater whether in park, neutral, or drive. Because of the
age and miles I have been going through and replacing items when I can get a good price on components. Plus I have the advantage of a sharp tech buddy.

I just read the rather long thread re. side heat vents...very nice work!

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,226 Posts
Great pic..thanks a ton! I have already replaced the hose the is just to the left of the arrow in the pic, the one that has the ridges in it. I also suspect the OVP, but got an idle control for $35, so I will replace this first.

It's behind the battery, just remove the plastic cover and you'll see it. It should have a cover on top with 1 or 2 fuses. If you pull it out to check it, be careful putting it back in since the socket isn't secure and you need to make sure it's fully seated.

·
Registered
1991 190e 1997 C280
156 Posts

Where did you get one for $35?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yep..it was ebay...I buy some items off ebay and some from autohaus. The I have a great MB tech for help.....otherwise I would not have purchased the car...

Thanks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I got an ICV from ebay for $35 now. Any tips on replacing it? 1991 190e 2.6.
Look at post #4 from slk230red on this topic 1st page...he has a great picture on where it is. I found another topic where it mentioned to come from the front and it made it A LOT easier to remove the underneath hose. You may want to replace that too...mine was cracked and definitely had a leak.

Take off airfilter/housing
locate the ICV
Unplug wires/hoses
Wiggle out the ICV (Black rubber piece too)

Replace and test...

Good Luck!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts