Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello.

i have an 88 300e. i parked the car for about a week. when i moved the car i saw an oily substance on the floor. im trying to figure out what it is. i use castrol on the car and that is goldish in colour. however the oil that i found is reddish. compressor oil? im thinking no because dont they come in a very light yellow colour?

so im stuck. i found the leak on the ride side of the car (on the floor) the only fluids i can find on that sie are the coolant and washer. i was trying to peek under the car but could not find where it is coming from.

help please. can anyone tell me what it could be?

thanks.

·
Registered
1990 300CE
72 Posts
Red is automatic transmission oil.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh crap. so other than the drain plug at the bottom where else should i be looking? where the engine mates to the transmission? is there any pipes or lines to look at down below?

thanks for the response by the way.

·
Registered
85 300 TDT
2,260 Posts
Best is to accept a bit of leakage on a 20 year old car. Especially a Benz. I bet you're not losing much.... a drop of oil hits the cement and spreads out thin making it look like there's more. Just check your fluids regularly and don't park on anyone's new concrete driveway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hehe...
don't park on anyone's new concrete driveway.
its my new concrete driveway... so there goes the greaseless floor.

with the same problem it turned out to be a leak in the power steering line..
which part did you find the leak? was it due to corrosion or was there a seal that bust open?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts