Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I too want to install front door speakers on my 1986 420SEL. I have a 1990 300SEL (to scrap as EXHAUST system got stolen) with front door speakers.
Will I have to swap the whole panel or is it possible just to replace the bottom pocket part of the door panel
thanks

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,680 Posts
Did gen 1s have an amp? Do i need one?

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,498 Posts
Firewater,
Original Radio set up in Gen I does not have a separate amp.

Reactions: Firewater

·
Registered
3,680 Posts

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL (Sold). 1992 500 SL
47 Posts
I just finished my sound setup in my 82' 300sd and i'm happy with it for now. Originally, I replaced the front speakers with a 3.5" tweeter and I would say I wouldn't recommend this at all. There was no depth for front passengers. I'm not sure how it would be for 2nd gen with door speakers but definitely not for a first gen car....
Agree. The early Gen 2's had the front speakers and no amp as well. My '87 420sel was the last year with the four speaker dash/rear deck setup. I did a simple in-kind changeout of the system this year, putting in 3.5" and 6.5" speakers. Wasn't really looking for a huge upgrade (the old Becker HU had blown out, taking two speakers with it) and the result was OK. That said, when time and money permit, I'm going to look at a 4"x6" option for the front speakers. uicnick is spot on with his assessment; the small speakers just can't provide quite enough depth.

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,356 Posts
I have both a Nakamichi CD400 and a MBV1 yet to instal into both my SEC's plus i sourced two sets a late Gen2 door covers with door mount speakers and the factory speaker frames so i could go to a 6 speaker system in both coupes.
Iam open to advice on what modern speakers to source and if any amps are needed for a simple crisp clear sound that i hope to get the most from the Nak units?
Iam no expert at all on system instals as to what matches what but handy in actually doing the install work.
So without getting too complicated what would be a good set up to match to the the Nak head units?

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I have both a Nakamichi CD400 and a MBV1 yet to instal into both my SEC's plus i sourced two sets a late Gen2 door covers with door mount speakers and the factory speaker frames so i could go to a 6 speaker system in both coupes.
Iam open to advice on what modern speakers to source and if any amps are needed for a simple crisp clear sound that i hope to get the most from the Nak units?
Iam no expert at all on system instals as to what matches what but handy in actually doing the install work.
So without getting too complicated what would be a good set up to match to the the Nak head units?
A lot of people are :thumbsup: for Infinity speakers by Harmon. I think if you want the best sound out of your SEC though you'll have to do some custom work with better placement of the speakers.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Has anyone done a Double DIN install by removing the ashtray?

·
Registered
1990 420 SEL, 1990 560sel, 1991 300e
352 Posts
Hey guys,

I know I haven't posted much on the forum, but I came across the thread, and thought I would show what I did for my radio install.

Its still not complete, I still have a few layers of lacquer to put on the center panel and a bit more fit and finish to tweak, but so far looks pretty factory.
I was able to get the stain to match Perfectly!, with the factory zebra wood.

It actually was a lot of work to get the inlay buttons to fit good, and I had to move the HVAC controls to the top. Where you see the radio positioned is the ONLY place this Double din Navi radio would fit. Theres too much stuff going on behind the dash, and just enough of a space above the rear hvac vent selector (in behind the dash), that the radio had to sit in that position.

After designing out a template to start with, I printed it out on my plotter, and began manually machining the slots and pockets on my mill. If I can recall... 3/16 bit radius is perfect for the lower switches and 1/4" bits are good for the upper hvac button radiuses.

All that I have to do now is finish extending a few of the wires for the lower panel switches, and she will be good as new.

You can notice in the pic that the wood around the gear shifter is much darker. For some reason this wood is darker from the rest of the car, and is cracked badly. Now that I have the stain formulation perfect, I can redo it with new varnish, and hide the old speaker crossover knob.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRH View Post

A lot of people are :thumbsup: for Infinity speakers by Harmon. I think if you want the best sound out of your SEC though you'll have to do some custom work with better placement of the speakers.
Be keen to hear from anyone that has intalled a Nak head unit and what set up they went with in speaker specs and any issues they had to overcome re wiring and if amp/amps were needed and pics of course.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRH View Post

Be keen to hear from anyone that has intalled a Nak head unit and what set up they went with in speaker specs and any issues they had to overcome re wiring and if amp/amps were needed and pics of course.
I just ordered a Nakamichi NA300IR which will be here tomorrow. Would've gone with the NA400 but the NA300IR was the only Nak available with Amazon Prime and would get here before I leave for Christmas trip. I'll do the install tomorrow and let you know how it goes with stock setup.

I plan on selling this unit or putting it in my SEL and getting another Nakamichi that is yet to be revealed.

·
Registered
Too many to list
10,300 Posts
Remember the new cheap nakamichi models on amazon are NOT the same as the old japan models

Nakamichi sold the brand name and its now slapped on cheap made in china garbage that's far worse then pioneer Sony etc

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Remember the new cheap nakamichi models on amazon are NOT the same as the old japan models

Nakamichi sold the brand name and its now slapped on cheap made in china garbage that's far worse then pioneer Sony etc
Yeah but Nakamichi doesn't look like crap.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I just ordered a Nakamichi NA300IR which will be here tomorrow. Would've gone with the NA400 but the NA300IR was the only Nak available with Amazon Prime and would get here before I leave for Christmas trip. I'll do the install tomorrow and let you know how it goes with stock setup.

I plan on selling this unit or putting it in my SEL and getting another Nakamichi that is yet to be revealed.
I'd appreciate your thoughts on the Nakamichi when you get it in. I'm thinking about that one or the below JVC. Still open to other suggestions though... Just looking for a new head unit that has AUX/USB in the front. Seems kind of hard to find one that is somewhat inconspicuous, decent quality, and not $200+.
Amazon.com: JVC KD-R740BT Radio-USB-CD Bluetooth Receiver: Car Electronics

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I like the look of the Blaupunkt Helsinki for a single din. With an LED upgrade for all the console lights I think it would blend in well.

Same goes for Nak of course.

For double din, I have my eye on the Nakamichi NA 788.

Although now that a lot of double din touch screens have phone integration that allows you to view maps and apps and the like on the screen, that is an enticing proposition.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts