Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually drive my 200 SLK on Italian autostadas that oftentimes curve through the hills. Someone told me it would be best to have a -1° camber setting, but I wanted to check here first... Should I keep the camber, caster and toe-in settings recommended by MB, or should I have them modified by a good alignment spedcialty shop? Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
The stock set up work pretty good for anything short of all out racing. If you chamge the set up, you'll lose tire life on the street, and that's where the car spends most of it's time... [:)]

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input, Bruce R.; I'll keep the settings on my SLK stock.

You seem to be one of the resident experts on tire pressure... What would you recommend for my car? Thanks again!

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
I don't know about being an expert about anything, but ..

I do know what works well for me. I have run 36 psi all around on both my SLK's, and about all the various tire sizes that are considered stock. In every case the best T.P. seems to be 35 to 36 psi all around. Try that and see how you like it.
If you get to a point where you really want to push the car, crank up the front to 38 to 40 psi, and then lower it again when you start to drive "normally" again. The very high pressure will help the turn in, but the ride and tire wear suffer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i don't know much about car tires, but i know alot of motorcycle tires (amature racer) and i supposed some things are common in both worlds..

there are always people who have many opinions on what works best, and it's true for most of them. on motorcycles, what gives you best feel and confidence is best.. this differs a little from person to person.

however, if you are not an expert at such things.. you should always follow factory recommended settings. there are many factors involved, but usually when you are running your tire at race levels, the tip is to lower your tire pressure by a psi or two. This is because as the tire heats up, the volume in the tire expands giving you higher psi. higher psi is not always desirable because the tires are design to deform certain amount during changes of force occurs in curves, this usually ends up giving more contact patch and better traction.

if you want more consistancy in tire pressure, you want to use gas that does not expand so much with temperature changes. In motorcycle world, filling your tire with nitrogen gas is popular. first because the gas does not expand so much as the temperature changes, giving you more consistanct performance, and secondly the nitrogen gases are larger and does not defalt or leak out of the tire as fast.. giving you again, more consistant performance over longer periods.

the negative camber is a good thing in tight corners for a car because the as suspension is compressed the -1 camber gives more flatter traction on the outside wheel with bigger contact patch, but at same time, the inside wheel loose that much contact patch as well, but since all the weight is on the outside, as far as cornering is concerned, it's better.. but tire wear in straight way will suffer because the inside of the tire will wear very fast because so much weight rides on much smaller contact patch.

i guess what i am saying is that, you can make changes to your car to make it better in certain manner, but these cars are designed with wide range of use, which means as it become specialized, you end up loosing out on some aspects.

if you follow factory settings.. that usually is the best policy..

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
dogbutter - 3/1/2005 9:45 AM

i don't know much about car tires, but i know alot of motorcycle tires (amature racer) and i supposed some things are common in both worlds..

there are always people who have many opinions on what works best, and it's true for most of them. on motorcycles, what gives you best feel and confidence is best.. this differs a little from person to person.

however, if you are not an expert at such things.. you should always follow factory recommended settings. there are many factors involved, but usually when you are running your tire at race levels, the tip is to lower your tire pressure by a psi or two. This is because as the tire heats up, the volume in the tire expands giving you higher psi. higher psi is not always desirable because the tires are design to deform certain amount during changes of force occurs in curves, this usually ends up giving more contact patch and better traction.

if you want more consistancy in tire pressure, you want to use gas that does not expand so much with temperature changes. In motorcycle world, filling your tire with nitrogen gas is popular. first because the gas does not expand so much as the temperature changes, giving you more consistanct performance, and secondly the nitrogen gases are larger and does not defalt or leak out of the tire as fast.. giving you again, more consistant performance over longer periods.

the negative camber is a good thing in tight corners for a car because the as suspension is compressed the -1 camber gives more flatter traction on the outside wheel with bigger contact patch, but at same time, the inside wheel loose that much contact patch as well, but since all the weight is on the outside, as far as cornering is concerned, it's better.. but tire wear in straight way will suffer because the inside of the tire will wear very fast because so much weight rides on much smaller contact patch.

i guess what i am saying is that, you can make changes to your car to make it better in certain manner, but these cars are designed with wide range of use, which means as it become specialized, you end up loosing out on some aspects.

if you follow factory settings.. that usually is the best policy..
Er,uh, yeah.

Regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts