Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I find the transmission + and - shift to far out of place and mind to be useful... so... What do you all think of this.....

Buy and install Paddle Shifter switch on steering wheel, extend and run the switch cable down the steering shaft and over to the transmission and connect in parallel to the transmission shift switches???

Pro?
Con?

Anyone interested and wants to get in on this MOD ????

:D

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oK that would be a CON - Slow shift points on your CL500.. can you please elaborate or give an example?

Maybe you can compensate by starting the shift sooner?

The PRO would be that the paddle shifter would allow you to concentrate on hitting the shift sooner, especially through a turn?

Does the AMG transmission shifter faster?

More Comments???

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 CL500
211 Posts
OK To my knowledge(limited) I doubt I can change the shift points without a actual ECU flash, and Even then I don't think that accelerates the actual response time of the shifter.

Another problem I face in a 500 is that I only have 4 gears to play with when shifting it manually, which bums me out. I'm currently sitting in a C300 from the dealer that has 6 whole gears, I WAS SHOCKED!!!!!

Transmissions on the AMG's might be better, But I do know the new SL's have a faster shift response time. Sure of that :)

ALi

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok ... I think there are threads here and on the W211 and AMG forum about slow shifting and what to do about it.

Yes, 5 speed tranny gives you only 4 shifts to play with.. I have a 7 speed tranny and thus 6 gears to play with. And it is kinda slow 'cuz it's not an AMG but I think paddle shifting would be more convenient than reaching down to the shift knob and wacking it left or right .. uh.. right or left.. not to user friendly if you have to think about it!!!

I didn't think the 5 speed tranny computer could be flashed? If so, do a search on the forum and see what others have found out.. good or bad.

So another PRO would be that Paddle shifting is more intuitive and convenient.

Also it would have the COOL factor, even if it does shift slower than you like.

I think it would be cheap to do ... less than $150 in parts.. just some time to mount the paddle shifter switch behind the Air Bag frame and run the wires down the steering column and over to the tranny switches!

Anymore comments???

:)

·
Registered
2003 CL500
211 Posts
this Mod I would be more then happy to do.... But we need to find compatible steering wheels from salvage yards if its gonna work properly. i doubt the dealership would only run 150 in parts. Plus wiring and all. I rewired my entire car (dodge) to have heated seats and auto stick previously, so i am well aware with the task ahead. Even thou this will be a million times harder lol.

ALi

·
Registered
W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
1,970 Posts
One can add FACTORY paddle shift to a NON Paddle shift 209 with all OE MB parts.
we added paddle shift/comand/parktronic/DISTRONIC/rear sunshade/and a COMPLETE Two Tone AMG interior with heat / vented/multicontour front seats on the 209 oh and a CLK EURO63 front bumper

You will need

Factory paddle shift steering wheel
contact rings

Program via SDS aka Star

WE did it on our 209 clk 350

as It now has a AMG Manufactur Steering wheel WITH Paddle shift

and YES it does work

View topic - Mark Cummins's New Two-Tone Interior | THE Mercedes-Benz & AMG Forum for and by the Enthusiasts | MyMBonline.com

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paddle Shifting VS Transmission +/- Shifting ???

:thumbsup: Thanks guys for comments...

Mark, is the shift speed faster using your method using AMG steering parts compared to the regular transmsision +/- shift method? OR is it the same because they both go to the same computer input port which is activated by the STAR computer?

The other question is if the multi-pin socket in the steering column has the connections for the AMG shift paddles already, then wouldn't it be possible to just plug in the non-AMG paddle shifter switch (probably have to MOD the wires)? And then have the Dealer activate it with the STAR?

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
:thumbsup: Thanks guys for comments...

Mark, is the shift speed faster using your method using AMG steering parts compared to the regular transmsision +/- shift method? OR is it the same because they both go to the same computer input port which is activated by the STAR computer?

The other question is if the multi-pin socket in the steering column has the connections for the AMG shift paddles already, then wouldn't it be possible to just plug in the non-AMG paddle shifter switch (probably have to MOD the wires)? And then have the Dealer activate it with the STAR?

What do you think?

The Shift points are the same Unless You do software mods to the TCU

Re the Paddle shift harness..Its a LOT harder than just plug and play...as You MUST change the Air bag/Horn Contact rings and wire then up so that the paddle shift will work then Version code the car Paddle shift present via the SDS aka Star

But YES it can be done on a Late 209 car that was built without Paddle shift
All OE MB parts used and NO HACKING

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Mark, know how much a wheel would go for? about?

I Think a ECU reflash or mod would help you more in the shift points.

ALi

I Have a AMG Manufactur Alcantera / Leather Steering wheel with Raised Thumbs WITH Paddle shift as It was a Special order from AMG then I Upgraded the paddle shifters to the tall metal paddles

You should be able to get a stock AMG wheel on Ebay.DE (german Ebay except the exchange rate on our dollar is WEAK

·
Registered
2003 CL500
211 Posts
Mark, would you happen to know of any junkyards I can find a Alcantera headliner at? This Beige Headliner is KILLING me to look at. Everything inside my car is black except that and its just off. Inside the C300 loner the dealer gave me, its black and I'm damn envious.

ALi

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Paddle Shift VS. Transmission Shift, that is the ???

Hi Mark,

Thanks very much for the info but to clarify so I can get the picture....

1. How do you like shifting with the Paddles vs. Transmission +/- knob?
I
2. Is the shifting lag identical for both Paddle and Transmission controls? Or does the Paddle shifting use a different set of firmware routine compare to the transmission firmware routine?

3. Does flashing the TCU firmware eliminate the shift lag for both shift methods or does it just move the shift point for each gear speed.

4. Does the Paddle shifter wiring harness plug into the new horn ring which then plugs into the Black 3 wire socket in the steering wheel? The only other connector I see is the multi-pin socket that has the two air bag cables.

If the Paddle shifter and Horn button are connected to the new horn ring and plugs into the 3 pin socket, then that means the horn and paddle signals are multiplex by an integrated circuit to the computer; and there is no direct wire connection to the TCU.

5. Do you recall the approximate cost of the New Horn Ring?

Thanks again for all your help .. :)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Mark, would you happen to know of any junkyards I can find a Alcantera headliner at? This Beige Headliner is KILLING me to look at. Everything inside my car is black except that and its just off. Inside the C300 loner the dealer gave me, its black and I'm damn envious.

ALi

I Dont think that you will find a Black Alcantera Headliner in a Bone yard..Just have yours recovered

As our 209 has the SPORT option it has a Black Headliner and all the items..visors/lights/switch assy are all black

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Hi Mark,

Thanks very much for the info but to clarify so I can get the picture....

1. How do you like shifting with the Paddles vs. Transmission +/- knob?
I
2. Is the shifting lag identical for both Paddle and Transmission controls? Or does the Paddle shifting use a different set of firmware routine compare to the transmission firmware routine?

3. Does flashing the TCU firmware eliminate the shift lag for both shift methods or does it just move the shift point for each gear speed.

4. Does the Paddle shifter wiring harness plug into the new horn ring which then plugs into the Black 3 wire socket in the steering wheel? The only other connector I see is the multi-pin socket that has the two air bag cables.

If the Paddle shifter and Horn button are connected to the new horn ring and plugs into the 3 pin socket, then that means the horn and paddle signals are multiplex by an integrated circuit to the computer; and there is no direct wire connection to the TCU.

5. Do you recall the approximate cost of the New Horn Ring?

Thanks again for all your help .. :)
1 The paddle shift is a lot easier on the wheel vs the shifter on the console

2 Its the SAME

3 IF You can find a software upgrade for the TCU ..Then It will move the shift points up..like the AMG Speed shift ..and NO they cannot be swapped to a NON AMG car

4 Like I said before it is NOT Plug and play the contact ring is DIFFERENT and the Wires are DIFFERENT...But yes it can be done It requires a different contact ring assy

5 I Do not remember the P/N or the prices as Several Items were done at that time
it cant be that bad...

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A Paddle Shift Project ... any volunteers???

Hi ALi,

Guess I am lucky... everything in my CLK350 is all black! I thought that was maybe too dark but I'm beginning to see your viewpoint. :D

Hi Mark,

Thanks for all your good experience... I now have a pretty clear picture of the Paddle Shift MOD you did. AND how it all works.

1. The Paddle Shift and Transmission Shift are identical in speed and shift points; only the convenience of the Paddle Shift has the advantage.

2. Flashing the TCU firmware only changes the Shift Point of the transmission, NOT the shift SPEED... so the shift lag problem is not improved, and will just have to live with it unless you get an AMG transmission transplant?

3. The Steering wheel MOD can be done with all factory parts for a price. AND requires the dealer to activate the Paddle Shifter via the STAR computer.

Well, I have a nice Burl wood steering wheel that I really like, so I don't want to change it ... I did find two styles of Mercedes Paddle Shifter switches: a tall aluminum and a shorter black plastic switches which are priced at $185 and $115 respectively.

I would tend to go with the shorter black plastic paddle shifter switches since it will match my car's interior and would be less likely to be hit accidentally when turning the steering wheel. But the only drawback is that it would require some "dremmel" work on the steering wheel base to mount the switches with a single screw.

Then once the switches are mounted, then the wires can be run down the steering wheel column and over to the transmission +/- switches and wired in parallel.

I still have to figure out how to get the paddle switch cables out of the steering column (hopefully there is a hole somewhere!) and then find a path to snake it back through the transmission tunnel cover to the shift knob switches; it would be wise to add a disconnect connector in the cable between the steering wheel and transmission tunnel so that everything can be disconnected incase of a problem. Also maybe someone who has had the car apart before can tell me if there might be an easier way to route the wires?

So comments or anyone want to help me do this project? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:thumbsup: Yes, guess I am lucky... All Black is BAD ...

Well, I really like the CL500's series but when I went over to that forum and checked it out... seems that it has way too many problems for a >$100,000 car!

I don't mind some problems because these are a Mercedes .. just like little babies... but if it acts like a teenager with an attitude, I can do without it!

Do you really need such a big car? I went from small to big and now back to small (CLK) as they kids are all in college and out of the house; we do mostly city driving.

The new E350 sport is very nice, but is a 4 door.

I like the CLS style a lot but don't want the 8 cylinder engine... I would consider it with a V6 like a CLS350.. or even a CLS diesel! It's probably availabe in Europe but not here in the States.

When is Mercedes coming out with a Hybrid?

There is a very nice BMW 3 series hard top convertible that looks good too.

The economy is really bad now and all high end cars are taking a good hit in resale value.

Mercedes just emailed me with a big clearance sale... things are getting tough!

Maybe you can be the first one to get the TaTa from India? :D

·
Registered
2005 CLS500 M113
31 Posts
Hi Mark,
I just bought an e55amg wheel (with the buttons), not the beautiful alloy paddles, :(. Can I have the buttons working on my 2003 W211 E240?
How would I do this please?
Regards
Areez

1 - 20 of 56 Posts