Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a tad drunk one night and I was outside looking at my car and my friends were smoking. the light his my car just right (had the top down) and for a second I had a day dream of having a glas allmost rounded tinted window in place instead of the plastic ones you guys use. in my head it looked cool so im gonna try it. anyone ever hear of a glass wind deflector?

if I do it I will post pics and cost's

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
It would depend on how it is attached and how good the safety glass is. Having a piece of non factory glass right behind my head in an accident doesn't sound like a very good idea. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Glass has a few drawbacks:
It's heavy, and inflexible, it also chips easy.
If you use tempered safety glass you don't have to worry about chipping because a chip will cause the whole panel to turn into little cubes....[:D]
Laminated glass won't shatter, but the tiny shards are a pain to clean up.

Acrylic has drawbacks as well, it scratches easy, unless you buy the kind with the scratch resistant coating.

Lexan is very flexible, but unless tied down well, or fairly thick it moves constantly and could be a distraction.

Clearly there are benefits to all these various materials as well, so the choice can be hard.
I tried 1/2" thick coated Lexan, and it worked OK, but my last iteration is 5/8" tinted acrylic screwed into the rear bulkhead using the coat hook screws.

What did you have in mind, something between the roll bars, or something that goes from the outer edges of the roll bars and fastens to them? [?]

Like 19falcon mentioned, I think I'd rather get hit in the head by a few ounces of plastic rather then a pound of glass, but that's your call. [B)]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
It is not a bad idea but as has been pointed out glass is heavy and if it breaks can be a real pain (literally and figurativly). Should not be a big deal to find a glass shop/manufacturer that will bend & cut glass to your specifications. If you do it I would recommend only the center section & not all the way across.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts