Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
'99 S420 114K
1,372 Posts
This Isn't About Me

I can show you the FACTS, but I cannot make you understand the FACTS.
I know several persons in law enforcement, I shoot at a local range on a regular basis. We have had several high profile shootingc locally in the past few years. I also lived/worked in a highly integrated and yet segregated city for decades, Houston, Texas. I saw all kinds of situations, and heard about many more.

After watching as much video about this incident as has been made available, and reading as much as possible, there are obvious conclusions that cannot be disputed. Of course there will always be those who only see what they want to see, and castigate anyone who disputes their opinions, but at some point, reason and logic trump feelings and opinions. I dare say if anyone thinks that officer woke up that morning hoping to shoot someone, they are mistaken. If we can all agree that this was a tragedy brought on by a series of errors and questionable judgments, I think we can move on.

I wouldn't be a police officer because I wouldn't want to have to shoot anyone. I carry insurance on all my vehicles. I would pay my child support. I wouldn't drive a vehicle I didn't own, or an unregistered vehicle. I certainly wouldn't allow warrants for my arrest to hang over my life. I can't imagine a situation where I would run from a police officer, and I'd never struggle with an officer over a weapon. That's just the way I live my life. If you are OK with people driving uninsured, in unregistered vehicles, not paying their child support obligations, and running from and struggling with weapons with cops, then heaven help you when you find yourself in a situation/confrontation with someone like Mr Scott. If anyone chooses a lifestyle of disrespect for the laws that are meant to protect all Americans, then such tragedies can be expected.

The vehicle is indeed a W124, it just appeared somewhat narrow on the dash cam video. A W201 has a totally different tail light.

Yes, this thread might be better served as an OT thread, I agree.

·
Registered
04 E320 4M Wagon, 90 560SEC, 14 VW Sportwagen TDI
1,063 Posts
W124 no question, Off Topic thread content though, Should be moved on over by the Mods asap

·
Registered
1987 300E, 1955 Plymouth Belvedere, 2005 Silverado 4x4
963 Posts
There's been lots of local coverage on this. The Car is definitely a pre facelift W124, likely a 300E or 400E based on visible equipment like headlight wipers. Later model based on the body cladding. The car has really crappy aftermarket wheels. I would expect it to be coming to a pick n pull near one of us within six months. As for other observations made here all I will say is that I was taught by my parents that if confronted by police, be respectful and compliant. I have not had many interactions with the police, but the aforementioned advice had been applied and has always served me well. If more people followed that simple advice, there would far fewer incidents of "police brutality".

·
Registered
2011 E550 4Matic, 1992 500E, 1994 S124, 1994 E320
161 Posts
I recognized it as a W124 immediately. When I read about the guy making $14 to $15 per hour I knew it was the wrong car for that income. You can not maintain a W124 on that income.

As for the shooting. IMHO, unless someone is a clear and present danger to others you don't shoot a man in the back. The guy could hardly run. If the cop would have waited a few minutes he would have been out of breath and collapsed. Totally unwarranted.

·
Registered
80 280SL, 85 300SD, 87 300TD, 90 300TE 4Matic, 90 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300TE 4Mat
1,455 Posts
Back to the question of the car, these pictures tell a lot.

The front passenger side fender tells us it is a gas model (diesels have vents, except the 1987 300D, but see the next clue).

The side molding tells us it is a 1990 or forward.

The short on the side rear black bumper pad and pre-facelift grill/hood/headlights tells us it is 1993 or earlier, but not before 1990.

The absence of a speaker on the driver's door pocket tells us it is a 1990 or earlier; its presence would mean a 1991 or later. It is a tough call with this picture, but it appears absent.

The type of steering wheel airbag tells us if it is 1992 or later, or 1991 or earlier. This is the earlier version.

The lack of extra fender flare tells us it is not a 500E.

The shallower rear bumper (the deeper of which accommodates the trunk mounted battery) tells us it is not a 400E or 500E.

The trunk lid between the tail lights, where the license plate is placed, is also different at a certain break-point, perhaps 1991/1990, but I am uncertain on that. This car has the earlier version.

My assessment with moderate/high confidence is a 1990 model year.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,748 Posts
my 1990 300e2.6 has the activebass speakers in the drivers door panel pockets.

my god, those are some ugly wheels.

·
Registered
80 280SL, 85 300SD, 87 300TD, 90 300TE 4Matic, 90 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300TE 4Mat
1,455 Posts
my 1990 300e2.6 has the activebass speakers in the drivers door panel pockets.

my god, those are some ugly wheels.
Interesting on the door speakers. Is it listed as an option on your car? What is its build date? I must now reconsider what beliefs I have held on this point. Thanks for correcting me.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,748 Posts
Interesting on the door speakers. Is it listed as an option on your car? What is its build date? I must now reconsider what beliefs I have held on this point. Thanks for correcting me.
yeah, the code for active bass, 814, is on the data card... 300E2.6's were very much base models, with just standard options.

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,888 Posts
What I want to know is how'd they raise that Donk?
It's sitting really high.

·
Registered
1994 E320 "Hans" Black Sedan, 1995 E320 Wagon Glacier White
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
For sure! As many mitigating circumstances as there are for the officer in this instance the judge should (rightly) sentence appropriately and I hope he will. There's also an appellate process for the dumb judge here and there. You know what they say, if you don't know the law, you become a judge. But still got to love those w124. Been neglected in the hood for who knows how many years and still running. I hear cars running in the hood/downtown new haven, ct, where i work, usually down a cylinder or two with a thrown bearing due to no oil changes but they are always buicks or pontiacs or some such garbage. They don't care if they breakdown because they can walk home.

Sad but another form of w124 durability I suppose.

·
Registered
1994 E320 "Hans" Black Sedan, 1995 E320 Wagon Glacier White
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My apologies all, my intention on this thread was to ignite the large intelligence base in the forum on year to year differences during the w124 run given limited knowledge from the pictures provided by the media. Absolutely should have posted this in a different section as things panned out, but the interest in the car is exciting nonetheless.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's all it was to begin with, but the cop asked for the vehicle registration certificate as they routinely do during traffic stops and Walter Scott said he didn't have one, that he was in the process of buying the car. When the cop goes back to his unit to call the license plate in and check for outstanding warrants, Scott bolts from the vehicle and starts running. It would not be unreasonable at that point for the cop to suspect that the car may be stolen and that he may be dealing with two dangerous suspects. He did not ask the passenger in Scott's car to exit the vehicle and did not search the car when he stopped them, so he must be wondering as he apprehends the suspect if either the suspect or the passenger have a gun. The passenger would be out of view of the officer and behind his back at that point. I think a jury will look at all the evidence and say the officer had probable cause to use deadly force as defined in Tennessee v. Garner, especially if the victim's fingerprints were found on the TASER, which has yet to be established.

I'm really interested in knowing who owns the car Walter Scott was driving. It probably wasn't stolen, but it would be reasonable for the officer to think that it might be under the circumstances.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts