Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very curious about the vehicle in this video. There are no numbers(like 300e etc) besides the logo on the trunk. This is a big deal in the media and has a tragic ending but what is the car? Is it a 190? I think it's a w124 87-93 May the man RIP and justice be served. I suppose we can wait for the police report to be published but what does everyone think?

WATCH: Dash Cam Shows Moments Leading Up to Walter Scott Shooting

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
3,215 Posts
Yep. W124.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, i must admit until i got some acceptably colored duct tape(tan tape on my saddle leather which still looks gross) mine was out for over a year. Really crazy story and also very sad.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As an attorney in training(I'm in law school) I wonder what will happen to the car eventually. The immediate effects have already occurred. It's impounded, being dusted for prints and searched pursuant to their state statute. But what happens after is entirely related to the unfortunate man's estate. I hope the car doesn't meet an untimely end like its forebear, but that is likely, given my newbish understanding of the law.

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
As an attorney in training(I'm in law school) I wonder what will happen to the car eventually. The immediate effects have already occurred. It's impounded, being dusted for prints and searched pursuant to their state statute. But what happens after is entirely related to the unfortunate man's estate. I hope the car doesn't meet an untimely end like its forebear, but that is likely, given my newbish understanding of the law.
it hope it goes to the ex to whom he owed child support. If it does, I bet she'll either flip it, or drive it into the ground. or let it get jacked by some dude.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah probably very true but it will take time regardless. My odds are on a government auction of the car per statute after a lengthy court proceeding. Give me a morning to find the time to find dictum but this isn't their first case of a suspect being knocked off and his property expropriated(this case being very different given the tortious ramifications)

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
W201 vs W124

I'm no "expert" but I had it pegged as a W201 because of it's narrow body. The chrome spinners says a lot about the overall condition of the vehicle, $1000 vehicle, IMHO.

I noticed the brake lights were all out of whack. The backup light on the driver's side lit when the brakes were applied, as well as the 3rd brake light was inoperative. I couldn't get a clear bead on the passenger tail lights from the video.

If you listen carefully to the dialog between the officer and driver, he had NO INSURANCE, LIED about the ownership, 1st it was "his car", then "he was gonna buy it", no registration, and he excused this tentative "purchase" as the reason for the poor condition of the brake lighting, lack of insurance and registration. In other words it was either a borrowed car, or he stole it. IMO, at that point, the officer should have cuffed him(for EVERYONE'S safety), but instead cut the perp some slack while the ran the plate and license. This type of complicated traffic stop is routine when working such a neighborhood.

As to the overall incident, in my mind, you obey the requests of law enforcement at all times. You do not RUN from them, nor do you struggle over weapons with them. This person knew he was behind in Child Support, and that he had skipped a hearing or two regarding this matter, hence he had warrants. Why in the world would he run, knowing all of this? Well, the car wasn't registered to him. I suppose he thought if he could get away, they wouldn't find him thru the vehicle? Yea, he would have been arrested if he had complied, but he'd be alive. As to the officer checking the warrant, I don't know how much the officer knew about the warrant, or if he even knew there was a warrant, maybe the full report will divulge that info. Once the man bolted from the scene, that is a telling sign something is amiss(watch a few episodes of 'COPS'). Yes, there was another person in the vehicle, and everyone is skipping that very important factor in this incident for some strange reason.

My Scott's "record" as a human being is spotty. For instance he was discharged from the Coast Guard for drug offenses after 2 years served, with a "general under honorable conditions" discharge. The 70's song by Sly and the Family Stone, "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" comes to mind with his family matters. I don't want to put the man on trial, but he obviously had made more than a few mistakes to get to this point in his life.

I'm certain that those who view this incident as poh-lice gone wild can say "this could have been me, or someone I know!" Study the data on crime by race, especially in the South, there you will find out WHY so many of a certain race are stopped, arrested, and incarcerated. They commit a lot of crimes. When this all shakes out, I suspect the FACTS will bear out that the officer was doing things by the book, but will probably face manslaughter charges for the shooting. In other words, he COULD have handled it better, but got caught up in the moment, the complicated traffic stop, the warrant, the chase, the ineffective taser strike, the struggle, the second running of the perp. That officer fired those shots according to training procedure, stance, aim, multiple shots till the perp is immobilized. I hate to see this, who doesn't, but Mr Scott committed suicide by cop, and yes this happens whenever persons break the stringent laws of our country, and then tries to evade capture. Color is irrelevant, we're all "equal under the law". You don't get a pass because you are poor, stupid, uneducated, drunk/high, minority, etc.

I do believe a tox screen of Mr Scott should be performed, and the results made public. A taser should have been enough to immobilize him. At the moment, the media is throwing out headlines, officials are desperately trying to defuse the situation, some citizens are jumping to wild conclusions and accusations, and there are tens of facts that are being withheld or ignored in this incident. :nerd

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Looks to be an early facelift car as when he opens the door you can see the wood trim.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Those were not the back-up lights; it just looked that way because of the poor dash-cam white balance.

I'm absolutely shocked at the unjustified rationalizations for this summary execution.

·
Banned
2,577 Posts
I'm no "expert" but ...

If you listen carefully to the dialog between the officer and driver, he had NO INSURANCE, LIED about the ownership, 1st it was "his car", then "he was gonna buy it", no registration, and he excused this tentative "purchase" as the reason for the poor condition of the brake lighting, lack of insurance and registration. In other words it was either a borrowed car, or he stole it. IMO, at that point, the officer should have cuffed him(for EVERYONE'S safety), but instead cut the perp some slack while the ran the plate and license. This type of complicated traffic stop is routine when working such a neighborhood.

My Scott's "record" as a human being is spotty. For instance he was discharged from the Coast Guard for drug offenses after 2 years served, with a "general under honorable conditions" discharge. The 70's song by Sly and the Family Stone, "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" comes to mind with his family matters. I don't want to put the man on trial, but he obviously had made more than a few mistakes to get to this point in his life.

I'm certain that those who view this incident as poh-lice gone wild can say "this could have been me, or someone I know!" Study the data on crime by race, especially in the South, there you will find out WHY so many of a certain race are stopped, arrested, and incarcerated. They commit a lot of crimes. When this all shakes out, I suspect the FACTS will bear out that the officer was doing things by the book, but will probably face manslaughter charges for the shooting. In other words, he COULD have handled it better, but got caught up in the moment, the complicated traffic stop, the warrant, the chase, the ineffective taser strike, the struggle, the second running of the perp. That officer fired those shots according to training procedure, stance, aim, multiple shots till the perp is immobilized. I hate to see this, who doesn't, but Mr Scott committed suicide by cop, and yes this happens whenever persons break the stringent laws of our country, and then tries to evade capture. Color is irrelevant, we're all "equal under the law". You don't get a pass because you are poor, stupid, uneducated, drunk/high, minority, etc.

I do believe a tox screen of Mr Scott should be performed, and the results made public. A taser should have been enough to immobilize him. At the moment, the media is throwing out headlines, officials are desperately trying to defuse the situation, some citizens are jumping to wild conclusions and accusations, and there are tens of facts that are being withheld or ignored in this incident. :nerd
I agree that the black man deserved summary execution with 3 shots in the back
the cops life was obviously in danger

I think the data is rigged
although a higher per capita % of blacks are pulled over the data indicates whites are more often found with drugs

I also agree this 'spotty' man was subhuman and got what he deserved

are you a cop or a cop wanna be?

·
Registered
776 Posts
@LogicalPosition

You are right on all counts except shooting a running man in the back is completely wrong and uncalled for. At that point, he wasn't a threat to anybody and he didn't have a record or a warrant related to any violent crime.

·
Banned
2,577 Posts
sounds like the cop was a bit spotty and subhuman?
Navy Times

Personnel records show that Slager served in the Coast Guard from 2003 to 2009, last serving at Station Cape Canaveral, Florida, as an unrated fireman before his honorable discharge.
His service record is unusual as most enlisted qualify for a rating within a few years of service and move up the petty officer ranks, a retired Coast Guard captain told Navy Times.

The Coast Guard is known for long wait times for "A" school, retired Capt. Jim Howe said, but six years is highly unlikely.

"It's possible he got rated and then through nonjudicial punishment or court-martial was reduced in rate back to E-3, but that is just speculation," he said. The Coast Guard was unable to provide a full record of his dates of rank, awards and duty stations on Thursday.

"Very curious, if you ask me," Howe added.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
moderators... CLOSE. THIS. THREAD.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
20 Participants
dave300D93
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing