1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,376 Posts
It's a M119, but exactly which variant is anybody's guess

·
Super Moderator
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 85 Audi Coupe GT, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,288 Posts
Engine number is on front of intake manifold, probably has crud built up on it. Will say something like 119 974 xx for example

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the last two digits id the deplacement ?? If no, Geuss the tb varius in dimension? Or maybe a diffrent way of telling the displacement??

·
Super Moderator
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 85 Audi Coupe GT, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,288 Posts
My example would be the 974

Edit: Just found this. How accurate it is I don’t know

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is the block them same base on the m119-42-50 and 60 ? thinking about big bore/short stroke motor if the motor is a 4.2 (only dreaming :cry: :) )

what is the "go to" performance aftermarket company´s for the m119?

·
Super Moderator
18,288 Posts
Someone else will have to chime in on M119 aftermarket upgrades.

Think same block, just different displacement and maybe different internal bits. Have a ‘91 500SL and never ventured to mess with it because has adequate power.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My example would be the 974

Edit: Just found this. How accurate it is I don’t know

i didn't see the link first of sorry.. Thanks alot mate! , i will now later know which motor it is :) Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Someone else will have to chime in on M119 aftermarket upgrades.

Think same block, just different displacement and maybe different internal bits. Have a ‘91 500SL and never ventured to mess with it because has adequate power.
okay you´re by no doubt right that is adequate power, but if i need to make a complete rebuild on the motor i sent a picture of I might as well get some more power out of it while im at it as long it dosn't blow the budget completly 😂 i'm allowed to have 370hp in my w123 when the restore is done so i would find that power adequate..😂 or at least that is the goal, then its only about how close i can get to that within budget😂

·
Registered
17,376 Posts
...I might as well get some more power out of it while im at it as long it dosn't blow the budget completly 😂 i'm allowed to have 370hp in my w123 when the restore is done...
What do you mean by "I'm allowed"??? The W123 can take more power than 370hp as long as you uprate everything else to deal with the extra power.

Do keep in mind, just like everything else MB, uprating power is very costly. If you want power and more importantly lots more torque (than the V8) on the cheap, you'll be much better served with a OM606 turbodiesel swap

·
Super Moderator
18,288 Posts
I attempted a M119 in a W123 and didn’t get far with it beyond dropping it into bay. Steering in the way of manifolds, trans tunnel needs a lot of fab, wiring nightmare, need the crossmember off W124 or R129, needed r129 or W124 rear differential and subframe plus fab just off the top of my head. Way too much work, time and money for the extra 100hp. Don’t want to discourage but if you’re on a budget , this could drag on for months if not a year plus.

You’d be better off with a M117 transplant. Think the left exhaust manifold is the only headache because of the steering.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What do you mean by "I'm allowed"??? The W123 can take more power than 370hp as long as you uprate everything else to deal with the extra power.

Do keep in mind, just like everything else MB, uprating power is very costly. If you want power and more importantly lots more torque (than the V8) on the cheap, you'll be much better served with a OM606 turbodiesel swap
allowed is legaly registred for the road in denmark.. my old amazon was illegal and driving around in it was ruined for all the worries of getting pulled over.. we have big taxes on cars here and the goverment are giving a fine on the same amount of money as the taxes would have been, so double tax plus the fact that they ain't nice to you when its in that order when they are diciding what the tax should be on it.. and if you can't pay, they impound your car.. :cry: :)

I would like a om606 swap in it 😂 with a black cloud behind it.. but polution regulations and diesel taxes are nuts here :(

when I say budget i don't nessersary mean cheap, just that it should be in reach of what is possible with my wallet and what i'm willing to put in it

·
Registered
17,376 Posts
Ah yes, mentioning the word diesel is the new Chernobyl in Europe. But if you want great power in a reasonable budget is your goal it is your best choice and your only choice.

I'd definitely stick with a OM606 turbo swap which practically drops into the W123 and then you can dial it up (or down) to your (or your government's) liking.

Been done many many times before. BTW, this is the W124 forum. You're gonna have a better return by requesting to have your post moved to the W123 section.

BTW, since you are in Europe and your vehicle is over 30 years old don't you have it registered as a oldtimer? That's what I have my 2 V12s registered under. Only costs 35 euro a year to keep it on the road and the inspection is not nearly as stringent as newer cars.

·
Super Moderator
18,288 Posts
M119 wasn’t available in the W123 so it can be deduced that’s why he posted here with his query of the engine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You’d be be
[/QUOTE]
I attempted a M119 in a W123 and didn’t get far with it beyond dropping it into bay. Steering in the way of manifolds, trans tunnel needs a lot of fab, wiring nightmare, need the crossmember off W124 or R129, needed r129 or W124 rear differential and subframe plus fab just off the top of my head. Way too much work, time and money for the extra 100hp. Don’t want to discourage but if you’re on a budget , this could drag on for months if not a year plus.

You’d be better off with a M117 transplant.
nice to now that it fits in the bay, so far so good :) havn't messured anything yet, but with the steering issue, was that with custom manifolds or stock ?
the wirering issue is gonna be fixed by a vems magnement, instead of finding a wirering harness from a different car.. i'm not good with custom wirering harness but I can follow a diagram a freind of my brother can make me, he is also gonna do the dyno part, i´ve have never mapped anything on a dyno.. only adjusting carbs on dyno and premade maps on harley´s :)

i don't need new cross members for it, but a different lsd rear diff at some point later on..

transmission is gonna be a volvo m90 h-pattern 5-speed
probshaft is gonna be mixed with a m90 probshaft and stock w123 here first of 😂 connection done in the lathe, it worked out just fine the last i did it, but need balaxing next time, I don't want that shacking again 😂

its not gonna be a m117 transplant, because this engine i sent pictures of is my boss´ and i can get it cheap. or maybe for free and I find that motor even more interesting after reading about it. :)

·
Registered
17,376 Posts
You’d be be
i don't need new cross members for it, but a different lsd rear diff at some point later on.....
[/QUOTE]

You will. It is the same story even if you swap a 8 cylinder into a 6 cylinder car, even if both are W124

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah yes, mentioning the word diesel is the new Chernobyl in Europe. But if you want great power in a reasonable budget is your goal it is your best choice and your only choice.

I'd definitely stick with a OM606 turbo swap which practically drops into the W123 and then you can dial it up (or down) to your (or your government's) liking.

Been done many many times before. BTW, this is the W124 forum. You're gonna have a better return by requesting to have your post moved to the W123 section.

BTW, since you are in Europe and your vehicle is over 30 years old don't you have it registered as a oldtimer? That's what I have my 2 V12s registered under. Only costs 35 euro a year to keep it on the road and the inspection is not nearly as stringent as newer cars.
Laughing my ass of by the chrnobyl comment, so true 😂 but no to the om606 even tho is a nice motor :)

The engine as the subject is about, was in a w124 right as well or where should this subject be ??

when the car 35years old its a veteran here, and 30years for classic.. when 35years old we only need inspection every 8 year instead of every second year.. strange right 😂 we can have it insurence registred for cheap moneys if we have a different main car. but if the veteran car is your main car it cost closer to normal price :)

its is less strict yes with the older cars but in denmark they rely on "euro norms" and what year they have calculated your car to be if it is not stock.. for example my w123 with that motor would be calculated on which year my brakes, suspension front, suspension rear, motor and on what has been done to the chassis, if the chassis is costum in critical area´s they can calculate it as 2020 and the factor on the chassis is high, so you can end up with a car they register as 2015 and then it has to follow euro norm from 2015 and be needing a 1.0liter straight 3 with direct injection 😂 its not america here 😂

·
Registered
17,376 Posts
Yah ok. One of my V12s is Euro 0, but I got mine registered a few days before the law changed from 25 years to 30 years or +. That was at the end of 2016.

The only downside I can see with using a oldtimer is that you cannot legally use it for your daily commute to your job or for commercial purposes (such as a limo service or wedding car) or for carpool service among other things.

At least that is the way it is here in Belgium.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i don't need new cross members for it, but a different lsd rear diff at some point later on.....
You will. It is the same story even if you swap a 8 cylinder into a 6 cylinder car, even if both are W124
[/QUOTE]

I looked up cross member and found a picture of the rear crossmember, so though that it was it you were talking about :)
Youre of cause talking about the front right ? :)

sorry for my bad english :)

the front crossmember from a w124 v8 or a r129 v8 that isn't bolt on is it ?
i geuss if my uncle helped me changing it to drysump i can make it fit with the stock crossmember??
but wasn't having drysump a part of my budget.. 😂

1 - 20 of 80 Posts