Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Magne K. from Iceland emailed me this link. In Iceland very wide tires are preferred in the snow.

"This link shows the icelandic moded style ML 35"

http://www.caoz.is/magne/ml/ml.html

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
RE: 35" Cooper tires

WOW .. and I thought my ML had big tires. [V]

I wonder if he has any rub at full lock .. LOL

P.S- WOLFGANG, do you know if there are different gears we can put in our ML's to lower the crawl ratio and compensate for larger tires ??? Thxs in advance !!

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Not much rubbing since the ML was lifted by welding longer bolts to the top of the springs, similar to the ORC kit, but less expensive, the Islandic lift kit. In addition it has a 30 mm bodylift. And the torsion bars at the front cranked up. Islandic folks are rather creative when it comes to such things, have to, when it breaks down in the middle of nowhere, as has happened to me on an Islandic trip. Had to cut new seals for the fuel filter about a days trip away from civilisation.

I dont think the ML crawl ratio needs any adjustment. It has a lot of torque at the wheels already.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts

Wolfgang - 5/4/2005 2:01 PM

Not much rubbing since the ML was lifted by welding longer bolts to the top of the springs, similar to the ORC kit, but less expensive, the Islandic lift kit. In addition it has a 30 mm bodylift. And the torsion bars at the front cranked up. Islandic folks are rather creative when it comes to such things, have to, when it breaks down in the middle of nowhere, as has happened to me on an Islandic trip. Had to cut new seals for the fuel filter about a days trip away from civilisation.

I dont think the ML crawl ratio needs any adjustment. It has a lot of torque at the wheels already.
Thxs for the info ... are there any drawbacks towards the ETC on our trucks with larger tires ?? And also what is the stock crawl ratio for our trucks ?? Thxs again !!

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

MLOffRoad - 5/4/2005 11:05 AM
Thxs for the info ... are there any drawbacks towards the ETC on our trucks with larger tires ?? And also what is the stock crawl ratio for our trucks ?? Thxs again !!
Braking and acceleration is slower. ETS works fine, not much difference, or actually improves since the tires stick better. ESP becomes "less intruding". But MB doesn't recommend it, and in some countries has added a protrusion into the wheelwell so no large tires can be used, by design, or unintentional, not sure, so one should check the wheelwells before purchase. [:)] Crawl ratio is about 38.5:1.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts

Wolfgang - 5/4/2005 2:25 PM

MLOffRoad - 5/4/2005 11:05 AM
Braking and acceleration is slower. ETS works fine, not much difference, or actually improves since the tires stick better. ESP becomes "less intruding". But MB doesn't recommend it, and in some countries has added a protrusion into the wheelwell so no large tires can be used, by design, or unintentional, not sure, so one should check the wheelwells before purchase. [:)] Crawl ratio is about 38.5:1.
Roger that ... thxs again for the information.

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

MLOffRoad - 5/4/2005 1:39 PM

You are welcome. Good luck with your mods, and let us know whne you have new pics. [:)]

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts

Wolfgang - 5/4/2005 6:56 PM

MLOffRoad - 5/4/2005 1:39 PM

You are welcome. Good luck with your mods, and let us know whne you have new pics. [:)]
You betcha !! Hopefully some of them will make it onto your website ... [^]

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
An ML230 with 35" tires... I would be afraid to make a left hand turn into oncoming traffic if it were less than 1/4 mile away, or in his case, a right hand turn. Probably does 0-60 in 18-20 seconds.

·
Registered
'99 ML320, '83 240D
113 Posts
Those are pretty puny tires for an Iceland rig! [:p]

I was expecting some 44" rubbers on rims with about 20 inches of offset and the quarter panels and fenders completely SawZall'd away. [8D]

Naw, but that is pretty sweet for an ML. I've been considering a 1" body lift for some time, but I've been too lazy to really get into it. Eventually I hope to put some Dana 44's or maybe even some Unimog 404's under the ML, and run 35" or 37" tires.

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
EuroCoupe - 5/5/2005 3:16 PM
An ML230 with 35" tires... I would be afraid to make a left hand turn into oncoming traffic if it were less than 1/4 mile away, or in his case, a right hand turn. Probably does 0-60 in 18-20 seconds.
That's fast compared to 80s G-wagen diesels, who do 30+ seconds on stock tires. Those need to have the gears changed, otherwise it gets difficult. In California the problem is merging onto the highway without sitting there for a couple hours to find a slot.. [:(]

But in Iceland there's not much traffic. The main highway around the country is 2 way gravel road and it's often an hour+ between oncoming cars...

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
chia - 5/5/2005 4:37 PM

Those are pretty puny tires for an Iceland rig! [:p]

I was expecting some 44" rubbers on rims with about 20 inches of offset and the quarter panels and fenders completely SawZall'd away. [8D]

Naw, but that is pretty sweet for an ML. I've been considering a 1" body lift for some time, but I've been too lazy to really get into it. Eventually I hope to put some Dana 44's or maybe even some Unimog 404's under the ML, and run 35" or 37" tires.
Yes. 38" is about standard for an Icelandic winter car.

Attachments

·
Registered
'99 ML320, '83 240D
113 Posts
That's a winter car, too. [:)]

It's not uncommon to see passenger cars and station wagons running tires as big as the trucks!

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
What do people do in Iceland?

Lava farming?

Raise lichen?

Hmmm...

Looks interesting.

Based upon the pictures I have seen, you must regularly ford raging rivers to get to the local record store where they only sell Bjork CDs.

I am joking, of course...

Check this out:

Attachments

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
"Wow, that can ruin the land."

Quote from my 7 year-old daughter.

Then....

"When I am ten can I get one of those?"

[:)]